We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manu Vs Tambopata

Vancouver
11 posts
Manu Vs Tambopata

OK so GF and I are looking to experience the amazon jungle in a safe yet remote setting.

We are undecided whether this will be Manu or Tambopatu.. have looked at both and each have positives... looking for 4-5 days..

I also read about a Mountain Bike ride to Puerta Maldonado.. has anyone done this?

We are not highly concerned about bugs or electricity.. good food and cleanliness would be excellent.

Weill be doing this around 4th October this year.

Regards

Kris.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,948 posts
538 reviews
1. Re: Manu Vs Tambopata

Inkaterra lodge in the Tambopata area is the best.

Vancouver
11 posts
2. Re: Manu Vs Tambopata

Why do you suggest Tambopata over Manu?

I was reading last night that Manu was more untouched whereas Purto Malnado area has been logged etc.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
93 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Manu Vs Tambopata

I am debating on Manu vs Tambopata as well. They both seem great.

Only thing is flights to Manu are more risky as the planes are smaller and have been known to have problems... Hence, having tours be canceled at the last minute. THe Inkanatura tour to Manu (Adventurer Tour) also doesn't list a night hike. I've heard this is when you see most of the animals (at night).

I am going in May - which one is better? Is there better wildlife viewing or mammal/bird viewing at one versus the other?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,948 posts
538 reviews
4. Re: Manu Vs Tambopata

You said you wanted electricity,cleanliness, etc only Inkaterra can provide that.

Also, for Manu you need 7 days.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Manu Vs Tambopata

I went to Manu Reserve Zone in May 06 with SAS Travel. I looked at the Inkanatura Adventurer trip and it looks very good. I stayed 2 nights in the Tented Camps and 2 nights in lodges and I preferred the tented camps for the real jungle experience. It depends on what you are looking for. There is no electricity and no hot water but that is part of being away from civilization. The night hike is fun but you don't really see any mammals, just lots of insects and amphibians. We definitely saw more animals and more pristine jungle inside the Reserve Zone. When you look at itineraries you will know where you are by what river you are on. The Manu River is inside the Reserve Zone where logging is not allowed. The Madre de Dios is in the park but logging is allowed and there will be small settlements. The food was amazingly good everywhere we stayed. The plane into Boca Manu is small but quite new and very modern. In May the dry season has begun and weather is good. Chances of a flight cancellation would be low. The only place I did not care for was the Machiguenga Lodge.

6. Re: Manu Vs Tambopata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 09:53
Get answers to your questions about Tambopata National...