We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of Tambo Jungle Lodge

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Review of Tambo Jungle Lodge

There didn't seem to be a TripAdvisor record for the Tambo Jungle Lodge, so here is our review:

My husband and I stayed in the Tambo Jungle Lodge as part of a 3 day/2 night program through SAS travel. Overall the stay was an excellent experience, but there were some issues with organization and transportation along the way. We were not picked up at the airport as promised, but once we called the phone number a bus arrived within a few minutes with a boat engine loaded in the front (apparently the boat had broken down earlier that day). We were transported to the office, which also seemed like someone’s house – complete with a child and pets – and were asked to wait for about 20 minutes before being transported to the port area to catch the boat to the lodge. It was a bit awkward. There was a lot of downtime between activities/excursions, meaning we often waited for a few hours in the hammocks in the lounge area or just lying in our beds. If you like to relax by “doing nothing”, this is a good place.

The lodge is about 45 minutes up the river. Upon arrival we were fed a big lunch of guacamole, rice, and a beef curry and then had a couple hours break until the first activity (monkey island). The rooms are basic – no windows, just mosquito screens and each bed has a mosquito net as well. There weren’t a lot of bugs inside the bungalow, but there were some big spiders outside the room and bathroom. The bathroom was clean but there was never hot water and there was only electricity for a few hours in the evening so flashlights are a must. One woman found a tarantula in her room on the ceiling one of the nights we were there, which added to our fear of creepy crawlies.

Our young guide for the trip, Michel, did a wonderful job despite some awkward circumstances. The boat continually wouldn’t start or was getting stuck in the mud (we’d all have to de-board). Also, since people are on trips of varying length, we were often merged with other groups or tour guides who never seemed to introduce themselves – we often felt like outsiders along with one other couple who arrived the same day as us.

The food was okay – not bad, but not particularly good either. Breakfast was usually basic with scrambled eggs and toast. Lunch and dinner were almost always a rice and potato dish with some type of meat curry or fish in sauce entrée. There was usually a simple dessert (peaches or pudding). Juice was provided at all meals, but alcoholic drinks were extra (and expensive).

We paid US$185 per person for the 3 day trip, which based on the amenities, condition of the rooms and resort, and food – was probably a gross overpayment. Compared to our US$40 a night hotel in Cuzco (the Ninos Hotel I), this tour through SAS Travel was probably a rip-off. That being said, we wouldn’t trade the experience for anything. We saw some great wildlife and were exposed to the lifestyle of the people in this part of Peru.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,671 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of Tambo Jungle Lodge

You should still post this review on the Tambo Jungle Lodge.

You could be the first one to do it and help other fellow travelers.

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review of Tambo Jungle Lodge

My husband and I also stayed in the Tambo Jungle Lodge for 5 days/4 nights also through SAS. Our stay was mid January, not the ideal time and this influenced our stay and the amount of wildlife we saw.

This blog is also quite similar to the one above but I wanted to add my experiences to this as well.

I enjoyed staying at the lodge and I welcomed the relaxation, particularly after trekking the inca trail for 4 long days!

We were picked up at the airport as promised and we were also taken to the office which is in quite an obscure location. We were then taken down to the port and taken on a boat to the lodge 20 minutes down the river. A huge storm broke out and we wondered what on earth we were doing here.

Meals provided started out really good, presented in banana leaves but the longer we stayed the quality certainely reduced. They serve fresh fruit juice with every meal and this was really nice (star fruit/orange/pineapple etc etc).

The activities had to change according to climate. Monkey island was flooded so we didnt get to see it at all. But I must admit considering the season we were really lucky with the amount of wildlife we saw.

The rooms are extremely basic – with windows covered with mosquito screens and each bed has a mosquito net as well. We didnt encounter any bugs but we had a pet possum/squirrel in the room which ran acrosss the wood bearings at night. The shower didnt work that well. The pressure was poor and was either too hot or too cold.

We had a freelance guide who generally seemed disinterested in the tour as each day went by. We didn't do as many nocturnal activities as promised and ended up asking to join with another group to ensure we got what we paid for.

In conclusion a reasonable place to stay, a bit pricey and probably better to book via their own website to save a bit of cash.

The most important thing is to go when it is the peak time where the wildlife is better

3. Re: Review of Tambo Jungle Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 04:45
Get answers to your questions about Tambopata National...