We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Lodge?

Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Lodge?

We only have 4 nights and 3 days. I've had terrific feedback from forum folks via private messages which is great! After all the research it boils down to Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Tambopata Lodge. Xochitl (whose advice I appreciate) recommends Wasai, but never really says why or compared to what? Wasai seems to have the most qualified comments (brown water in showers, etc.) I realize sometimes comments are not fair because the problem may be long since repaired.

That said, does anyone have any specific and relatively recent assessment of these two lodges? Also, several tour operators offer the same packages. Is there any advantage to using one booking agency over another regardless of the lodge selected?

Thanx so much for everyone's input here. It's awesome and I hope to return the favor someday.

John

Colorado

Mentioned in this post
Posada Amazonas
Posada Amazonas
961 Reviews
Tambopata National Reserve, Peru
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
203 Reviews
sacramento,ca
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Lodge?

We recently returned from 3 nights in the Amazon and stayed at Both the Wasai lodge in PM and its jungle lodge. I am not sure if you are also referring to the jungle lodge. The jungle lodge was very basic, but very, very clean. My wife and I were there for two nights. We were initially anxious because the cabin had two separate twin beds with netting and little else. The bathroom was very clean. We did not take showers because the water was only cold and actually the nights were quite chilly. We also slept with DEET on the the shower didn't make sense.. The guide was wonderful,Fernando, . He was kind, sweet , always helping my wife when she needed assistance. The boat drivers were great. Food was exciting and had a diiner cooked in a bamboo stick. Staff wonderful. The lodge in PM has electricity, AC on request, though the lights are dim. Day trip to Sandova lake was great to see monkeys. The manager at Wasai is also a shamin, if interested. Don't know anything about other lodges. Actually, we are now glad we stayed in the more basic jungle lodge and not a fancy one as it felt more consistent with the experience

Mentioned in this post
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
203 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,810 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Lodge?

I recommend Wasai Lodge because I know about it . My daughter stayed on this lodge 2 years ago.I also know about the owners.

I do not know the others.

Mentioned in this post
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
203 Reviews
Springfield, Oregon
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Lodge?

Hi John,

My boyfriend and I are planning to visit the jungle for 4 nights in late April and are in a similar situation that you were in. My research boils it down to Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Tambopata Lodge. Just curious as to which jungle lodge you selected and if you could provide some feedback on your experience. I am leaning towards Wasai since I want to go to macaw clay licks...but know they will not be very active at this time. Also, Wasai is not offering the special anymore (even though it is on their web page) and there prices have gone way up. Posada Amazonas seems highly recommended....I would just like to get further away from civilization. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Posada Amazonas
Posada Amazonas
961 Reviews
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
203 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,810 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Lodge?

Just a reference to prices.

The US$ has depreciated against the Nuevo sol from 3.5 to 2.75, which is close to 30 %.

Every day the exchange keeps on going down so be prepared for changes in US$ quoted prices.

Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Lodge?

Hi, Hokiealum

My wife and I did a ridiculous amount of research on this and chose Posada Amazonas because I only had four days and could not go up river to TRC.

All I can say is, Posada Amazonas was EVERYTHING I had hoped for. Even their "small clay lick" which they downplayed was filled with beautiful Macaws, morning and afternoon! I got fabulous videos.

I had purposely set my expectations very low because I had been told there are so many seasonal factors involved. I visited September 20 of 2007 at the end of the dry season. One or two brief rain showers but nothing major. I used DEET and Buzz-off clothing. I had only about three noticeable bites the whole time. (The bugs WILL find the spot you missed!)

You will be awakened in the early morning by howler monkeys. It's an exciting experience. Also hearing Macaws with their call and response. It's amazing when you close your eyes you can actually hear a lot about the way animals behave.

For all I know, the other lodges may actually be better, but I can't see how it could top my visit. An Anaconda and a Jaguar were the only things on my list I didn't get to see. (Tip: Pass up the silly shaman/farmer visit and go back to the clay lick instead)

Posada Amazonas accommodations were great, Luis our guide was terrific.

Also I must publicly thank xochitl for his frequent and tireless advice. He helped us for our Machu Picchu trip as well. I cannot speak for Wasai Lodge since we decided to go to Posada Amazonas. I assume this is a good place as well.

Let us know what happens!

John

Evergreen, Colorado

Mentioned in this post
Posada Amazonas
Posada Amazonas
961 Reviews
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
203 Reviews
6. Re: Posada Amazonas vs. Wasai Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 23:50