We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius

Kildare, Ireland
5 posts
How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

Myself and my husband are staying in the Merville Beach Hotel for 9 days on a half board basis in September. I'm just wondering how much funds we should bring with us approx. We'd like to do about 2/3 trips in all but generally this holiday is just going to be about relaxing and chilling out at the beach and enjoying a couple of drinks in the evening after dinner

Any responses will be appreciated.

south wales
Level Contributor
31 posts
1. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

Hi Kildarewoman,

We’ve just come back from 14 days at the Merville Beach & had the time of our lives, we went AI and we’re glad we did as the drinks are quite expensive at the hotel. If you can go AI, I would strongly recommend it, we’re not big drinkers but on an average day we had possibly 2-3 soft drinks, a cocktails here or there, wine with our evening meal & maybe I had the odd beer or 2 in the evening this was worth the extra supplement . You can go to Grand Baie in the evening there’s a taxi rank right outside the hotel but it does get dark early (6pm-ish)

With regards to trips we found a fantastic shop which sells gifts but also organizes tours which when compared with the hotel and our tour operator prices we found them a lot cheaper & better value for money. We booked a trip with our holiday rep the first day we arrived & when we booked other trips a few days into our holiday with the shop it was less than half price for the same trip.

My only advice would be go All Inclusive & shop around for trips and if possible upgrade your flight, we flew with BA great air-crew and a good flight but 12 hours in World Traveler (cattle class) is a bit to much so upgrade if you can we did on the way home to World Traveler Plus (it was worth every penny).

We hope this help.

NUR
Buntingford
Level Contributor
46 posts
2. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

hiya minesapintofguinness

Can you tell me the location of the Merville Beach Hotel and if the snorkelling is good around the area?

Thanks

NUR

south wales
Level Contributor
31 posts
3. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

Hi NUR

Merville Beach is approx 10-15 min walk into Grand Baie or 2 min drive by taxi (taxi rank outside hotel & approx £2.00 each way) we spoke to a lot of people on trips around Mauritius & they told us their hotels where a bit 'out of the way' as in shops, local towns etc. and wished they’d booked a hotel closer to Grand Baie.

Snorkeling is pretty good the glass bottom boat goes out to the reef several times a day (free) but you must book this through the boat-house, but around the hotel the snorkleling is ok (saw a sea snake poo'd myself lol)

Although it’s their winter there was plenty of fish to see but I but I can imagine the fish in their summer would prob be more impressive.

Hope this helps

NUR
Buntingford
Level Contributor
46 posts
4. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me who you booked the Merville Beach Hotel thru and what time of year you went. We are tossing up going either February 2007 or May 2007 for 2 weeks

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
15 helpful votes
5. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

Hi Guinness

Really glad you had a good time. We are planning to return to the Merville Beach in November 2007, as we had an awesome time and made many friends at the hotel.

We plan to do more sightseeing this time and enjoy the local culture fully!

Gilly

PS what did you think of the Guinness? My fave drink was the Perle d'Isle

south wales
Level Contributor
31 posts
6. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

We booked with Thomas Cook Signatures, but we played about 3 different travel agents against each other & we saved approx £700 from the first quote we had. With the sort of money you’re spending they’ll bend over backwards for you.

We’ve just come back, spent the first 2 weeks of August, the weather was pretty good for their winter average temperature between 24-26 most days we had the odd day when it hit 30. We had two showers one lasted 10min & the other about 30min.

Sorry can’t tell you what the weather would be between the times you plan to go but if you look at Tripadvisor reviews through out the past 12 months that might help you.

Cheers

south wales
Level Contributor
31 posts
7. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

Hi Gilly,

We had the best time ever made some new friends and found the people there really friendly & welcoming. I was looking forward to meeting Vinnay at the Merville (after all the good things said about him) but he left a few weeks before we arrived.

My favourite drinks were the Brandy Alexander & the Mo-ito’s. I did try the Guinness but didn’t think much of it, spoke to an Irish couple on their honeymoon & he told me it was brewed in North Africa (Nigeria I think) not as good as the proper stuff

You lucky bugger going back next year, if you don’t mind me asking whom did you book it with??? (& was in cheaper) We’d love to go back, we saw practically the whole of Mauritius went on some great trips North, South, East & West. We came across this gift shop which did tours & we found them great & value for money plus we made some good Mauritian friends (Nita, Raj, Parma & BB)

PS Any room in your suitcase for next year xxx

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
15 helpful votes
8. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

Hi Guinness!

We booked with Kuoni as as found them to be the cheapest. We had a deluxe room at the front of the garden court and would definitely go for that room again.

I can't believe Vinnay has left - did he go to another hotel? He was superb and very friendly and chatty with us. We found all the staff to be so friendly right down to the gardeners who would stop and chat, more so if you spoke French, albeit badly! We have stayed in touch with Vijay from the restaurant too.

Like you said the Guinness wasn't great (according to hubby) but the Merville as a whole is amazing.

We plan to travel more next time, as we normally do on hols, but we were tired and lethargic after the wedding! Roll on 2007!

Regards

Gilly

xx

south wales
Level Contributor
31 posts
9. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

Hi Gilly,

The lad on the front desk (Kamal) told me he was head hunted by another hotel, so I assume the offer must have been too good to be true to turn down.

I am soooooooooooooo jealous your going back, we're hopefully going to Canada in the spring to see some friends and off to the Med somewhere for a week in the summer so can't afford all three. Maybe we'll go in 10 years time for our wedding anniversary (or maybe I'll go next year in November in a suitcase with my new best mate Gilly) lol

take care

Frick
1 post
10. Re: How much money to bring for a 9 day stay in Mauritius
Save

Hi Gilly,

is Vijay from de Marina Resort? I got to know him on Spring 2001. I was there in Mauritius with my father and Vijay played ping pong, billard, water polo and cards. We wrote letters till 2003, unfortunately it stoped than. Are you still in contact with him?

greets

yolanda

Get answers to your questions about Grand Baie
Recent Conversations