We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
91 posts
23 reviews
34 helpful votes
Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year
Save

We are planning to spend Christmas/New Year time in Grand Baie (Bay).

I know it will be hot, humid and sunny during this time and with a lot of rain and threat of tropical cyclones as well. On the other hand I have read a lot of TA members stating that it was rainy and very windy in their winter also (June to September).

I am aware it is a tropical area and anything can happen at any time of the year, but still want to hear from people from Mauritius or anyone who visited Grand Baie (Bay) area of Mauritius during Dec/Jan time please.

Very confused!

mauritius
Level Contributor
127 posts
1. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year
Save

You are correct it will be hot, sunny, humid as usual during the cyclone season. I am sure you will have a great time over Christmas and New Year.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
91 posts
23 reviews
34 helpful votes
2. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year
Save

Hello sunsetlover22

Could you kindly let me know is it the best idea to travel during this time of the year?

I am bit sceptical and not sure what to do, also I would like to other respectful TA members to share their ideas please.

mauritius
Level Contributor
127 posts
3. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year
Save

I would not hesitate about travelling at this time of year.As I said it will be hot. and you can always get some rain. Although we are officially in the cyclone season if and when they occur its usually from Jan -Mar.Its a really popular time for tourists. The sea is warm and great for swimming.The shops are bustling with people getting ready for the new year- lovely.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
91 posts
23 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year
Save

OK so we are up for it. Little bit rain and clouds I don’t mind and hot weather is also fine with us.

Once again thank you so much for your reply and time, bless you Sunset lover22

Pretoria
10 posts
5. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year
Save

Have been in Mauritius three times over the x mas / new year period. I only experienced a cyclone on 1 occasion and that was only for 2 days, even then, only a little rain, just very grey and cloudy and no watersports allowed. Rained a little on new years eve last year, but only for about half an hour. The rest of the time the weather was sunny, warm and absolutely perfect!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
91 posts
23 reviews
34 helpful votes
6. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year
Save

No water sports, not a good news.

Apart from this it sounds pretty much the place, where we would love to explore during Christmas/new year break.

But as we left our plans to the last minutes, so now I am having a lot of problems to find suitable flights.

Thanks a lot robbieza for your time.

7. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?
Umhlanga
Level Contributor
6 posts
85 reviews
91 helpful votes
8. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year
Save

We spend 3 to 4 months per year in Mauritius, Know Grand Baie very well. It will be hot, humid, busy and exciting. Yes, there may be cyclones, about a 1 in 10 chance, but mostly tropical rain, lasting a few minutes.

Go to Grand Baie beach on the evening of 31st December, but go EARLY, very busy. If you go by car, park at the Supermarket. Take some fold-up chairs, drinks etc, and settle in on the beach to watch the stunning fireworks displays at midnight. The hotels around the bay compete to put on the best show, The fireworks show, reflected off the water, is really awesome.

Enjoy Mauritius!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
91 posts
23 reviews
34 helpful votes
9. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year
Save

Your excellent description about Mauritius and Grand Bay is persuading me even more to visit this awesome country.

Unfortunately for this year it is not possible. Now I am looking forward to spend our summer holidays in Mauritius and I will make sure that we organise our self-beforehand.

Thanks a lot for your time and reply SvB-CvB

10. Re: Grand Baie (Bay), Mauritius for Christmas/New Year

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Grand Baie
Recent Conversations