We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new year's eve

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
7 helpful votes
new year's eve
Save

I'm going to be in a self catering apartment near Grand Baie and will be there over New Year. Will it be a problem for me to book at a hotel/ restaurant for New year's eve when I arrive about 27 Dec? approximately what will dinner cost that night? any suggestions?

mauritius
Level Contributor
127 posts
1. Re: new year's eve
Save

It wont be a problem as the restaurants dont usually put the menus up until a few days before and you can book right up until the 31st. it depends on what you want, but they usually cost from R1750 for a set meal of 4 or 5 courses. Some include a firework display at midnight which is lovely. The hotels start taking reservations approx a week before. It depends on the hotel, but will probably cost from R3500 per person uncluding dinner, entertainment and firework display The New Year is welcomed in by almost everybody in Mauritius and the 1st and 2nd are public holidays..

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: new year's eve
Save

thanks! I didn't realize New Year's dinner would cost as much as that! We're going to be a group of 4 adults. Any less expensive options?

mauritius
Level Contributor
127 posts
3. Re: new year's eve
Save

Unfortunately most of the restaurants serve a set meal on New Years Eve hence the hike in price. You may get it slightly cheaper say around R1500.Also some of the smaller ones may have there usual menu on offer.Perhaps you could make enquiries when you arrive. I doubt if you will get a hotel reservation any cheaper though. Good luck and I am sure it will be an evening to remember.

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
200 reviews
422 helpful votes
4. Re: new year's eve
Save

I don't think the prices quoted by Sunsetlover are that bad actually, Restaurants in Mauritius like everywhere in the world will charge a premium rate for a special occasion like New Years Eve. In UK you would expect to pay twice that amount.

Best wishes

Mazza :-)

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
7,686 posts
69 reviews
94 helpful votes
5. Re: new year's eve
Save

Hi there

Is sunsetlover quoting in Mauritian Rupees (Rs) or South Africa Rands (R)? Big difference between the two.

Regards

Dee

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
200 reviews
422 helpful votes
6. Re: new year's eve
Save

Hi

I'm sure she will clarify but as Sunsetlover lives in Mauritius I would imagine it's Mauritian rupees.

Mazza :-)

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
7,686 posts
69 reviews
94 helpful votes
7. Re: new year's eve
Save

Thanks, Mazza, I'm worried that RMSA is thinking in Rands which will make everything appear 4 times more expensive! I've made the mistake myself before when we first started travelling to Mauritius!

Kind regards

Dee

mauritius
Level Contributor
127 posts
8. Re: new year's eve
Save

Yes Mauritian rupees.

9. Re: new year's eve

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Grand Baie
Recent Conversations