We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription drugs

letchworth herts
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Prescription drugs
Save

We arrived yesterday at 20 degree sud

I have a back condition that I have to take tramadol to control the pain which is a banned drug In Mauritius so I contact the Mauritian embassy who requested latest prescription and a letter from my gp

I was sent back an email stating I could carry my drug but I would be administered 10 days supply the following 5 days would need to be collected from the nearest hospital

I was a little concerned coming in to Mauritius with my drugs and what would happen at the airport custom but I shouldn't of worried as I wasn't even asked about straight through with all my drugs ??

Anyone taking an opiod pain killer please make sure u declare this before you go and get permission to save any problems as I very nearly did travelling to gambia as it never occurred to me about my pain killers .

3 replies to this topic
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
62,956 posts
158 reviews
1,121 helpful votes
1. Re: Prescription drugs
Save

Thankyou for the feedback Billy, and yes we tell posters all the rules concerning drug importation when they ask on forum.

I recall giving you the info in an earlier post.

You need permission to take opiates from the Mauritius High Commission, a doctors letter and need to take the exact amount of medication needed.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293816-i9265-k13772306-Prescriptions-Mauritius.html#112109957

You say they didn't stop you at customs - the point is they have every right to do so, the can and they do and if anyone doesn't have the correct paperwork and they are stopped they are in serious trouble.

Mauritius has a problem with drug smuggling so is alert re illegal drugs.

We had a similar situation in Japan a few years ago.

My husband had to apply for a permit to import his codeine, he was issued with a letter stating the exact amount of meds.

At customs no one asked him about the codeine but we told them anyway and they inspected the meds and papaerwork.

Have a lovely time at 20 Degrees Sud Billy!

Edited: 28 April 2022, 16:01
letchworth herts
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Prescription drugs
Save

Yes you did Bronia and it was something I mentioned to Audley travel that travel agents should mention about prescription drugs to customers befor they book as it was something I never considered until my Gambia scare.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
62,956 posts
158 reviews
1,121 helpful votes
3. Re: Prescription drugs
Save

You aren't the first poster to mention the fact that travel agents fail to mention this to their customers, which is negligent of them.

Have a good time! 😎🌞🌴🥂

Reply to: Prescription drugs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Baie
Recent Conversations