We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
safety

I would like to walk around after dark - how safe is tarrytown and the lighthouse area?

6 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

Tarrytown is quite an upscale suburb and walking around the town is fine (but will be deserted after midnight. Not sure what lighthouse you mean or how you would get there. Will you be driving?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,548 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

The park where the lighthouse is closes at dusk: parks.westchestergov.com/kingsland-point-park

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

I just came back from Tarrytown earlier. I went to join with a meetup group; a get together to be at held at Sunset Cove on the water in Tarrytown. They have a band on Sundays from 5 to 9 PM and I wanted to try something different.

So I arrived at the Tarrytown station at 6:15 PM or so. It was sunny out and all, lots of people too. One guy told me I was beautiful so I just ignored him of course. What else was I to do. He was weird and acting strange too in his mannerisms but I thought just walking away from him would work. What is he going to do, follow me? It turns out he did!

I asked one of the shuttle drivers where Green St. was. I remembered that was the road I needed to walk to get to Sunset Cove but forgot it was behind the tracks. The driver told me it was up the hill. So I started walking up the hill away from the train station.

So that same guy showed up again somehow and appeared all of a sudden a little bit ahead of me. OMG! I felt in danger a little so I crossed the road diagonally spotting 2 women walking together on the opposite sidewalk. He crossed too. A car even beeped at him because he wasn't watching. Then he turned around and faced the three of us. I said to them raising my voice a little, "Can I join you. This guy is crazy!"

He then turned back around walking forward. His friend who I didn't even see was behind all of us and joined him (the first guy) up ahead. That was the end of it. The three of us turned back the other way. The two women agreed that that was crazy too. They told me how to get to Sunset Cove. So I walked back to the train station and behind the tracks.

Now nothing happened to me (or us) in the end but I am a New Yorker (also from Westchester) and am used to walking alone. I have never experienced anything like this. The Tarrytown police department allow this in their town? Shame on you Tarrytown police! They would have never tried this if the town were more secure. They know what they can get away with.

My feeling was these guys were trying to set it up to steal my bag or whatever they wanting to attempt. One was ahead of me and one was behind. They were accomplices clearly. So I just googled "Tarrytown safety" and found your blog. My hope is the police department will read this and take note because I am not going to report it formally. Nothing really happened ultimately.

So is Tarrytown safe the question is? I don't know. Is it? This happened on August 20th, 2017 at 6:30 PM. Guy number one was Caucasian with sunglasses with weird mannerisms and guy number two was African American. So that's my story and I am glad I was able to report it somewhere so I can now try to forget about it!

Mentioned in this post
Tarrytown
Tarrytown
Westchester County, NY
Sunset Cove
Sunset Cove
241 Reviews
Tarrytown, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

I recall saying the town was safe even late in the evening. Not that you could wander all over the suburbs where there is ordinarily not much foot traffic - esp when you don't know the area.

IMHO wandering around unknown suburban areas or countryside alone when not knowing where you are going is never safe - anywhere.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: safety

Walking from the Tarrytown train station to Main St. (town center), is not 100% safe (not even 90%) even though it is a short walk. The town itself is probably safe enough if you park there and walk around. I am sure the lighthouse is safe during normal business hours when it is open to the public but I would not go there afterwards or when it gets dark. Overall Tarrytown is ranked just mediocre in terms of safety and crime when compared to other towns in Westchester.

newrochelletalk.com/content/rankings-westche…

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Tarrytown
Tarrytown
Westchester County, NY
6. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 March 2018, 17:35

Reply to: safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tarrytown