We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving car at train station for weekend?

Nova Scotia, Canada
11 posts
Leaving car at train station for weekend?

Hello, driving down from Canada for weekend trip to NYC in May. We plan to spend one night in Tarrytown and then take the train into NYC for two nights (Sat and Sun), traveling back to Tarrytown Monday morning and continuing home. Does anyone know if we can leave our car in the train parking lots over the weekend? I see it's free parking Sat and Sun but not sure how it would work for Monday morning or even if overnight will be an issue. Also, are the lots fairly secure/monitored?

5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,153 posts
1. Re: Leaving car at train station for weekend?

No- the lots are not secured or monitored and I think Monday am would be a problem. Likely you would have to be out very early in the am since locals usually fill up these lots by about 8 am to get to the city for work. And I beleive you may need a town sticker then - do check.

Nova Scotia, Canada
11 posts
2. Re: Leaving car at train station for weekend?

Hmmm...thanks for that. Makes me rethink Tarrytown as our stop. We want to be fairly close to train so we can be in the city be first thing (don't want to deal with the car in there) but might have to look further north I guess.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,153 posts
3. Re: Leaving car at train station for weekend?

White PLains has a very large train station lot and is less than an hour from the city. But none of the suburban lots are secured unless you go to one of the very few with a garage.

1 post
4. Re: Leaving car at train station for weekend?

Is it possible for a nonresident of Tarrytown to park at train station on Sundays?

1 post
5. Re: Leaving car at train station for weekend?

Yes, Lots A and B have free parking for residents and nonresidents.

Reply to: Leaving car at train station for weekend?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tarrytown