We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic and Travel in November

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Traffic and Travel in November

I’m coming Nov 9-12 (Friday-Mon). Flying into (yet to be booked) Manhattan.

A: Jitney or car service?

B: is LIE traffic awful any weekend or will it be reasonable in November?

8 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,386 posts
117 reviews
1. Re: Traffic and Travel in November

Single......I hope that you don’t think that you are flying into Manhattan....there are no airports there.

You posted in a Southampton forum.....is that where you intend to stay? Will you be renting a car or going there by public transportation? What are you planning to do while there?

If you fly into JFK, you could take the Air Train to Jamaica station, then transfer to the Long Island Rail Road to Southampton. Do check the schedules as trains are not all that frequent.

Of course you could rent a car at the airport and yes, on a Friday afternoon, you could expect traffic to be heavy as a lot of people travel out east for fall activities & to visit the wineries. It’s about 80 miles from JFK to Southampton, but expect the trip to take 2 hours minimum on a Friday afternoon....maybe longer.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Traffic and Travel in November

If coming from JFK, you would not need to travel on the LIE, but the Southern Parkway to Sunrise Highway on to Southampton.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,134 posts
3. Re: Traffic and Travel in November

Be aware that November is off season - since this area is primarily warm weather resorts. There will be some places open on the weekends but even then many shops, restaurants, inns, etc will be closed or open only limited hours. Also you will really need a car to get around when there - so I would drive out from JFK rather than train, since rain service is so infrequent. Also be aware that the east end is going to be colder (and windier usually) than Manhattan - so make sure you have a proper cold weather wardrobe.

You can walk on the public beaches if you want - but be aware that you may freeze your heinie off.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
980 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Traffic and Travel in November

As a person who travels between Queens and the Hamptons often via car, Jitney and train I can give you first hand knowledge. Yes you should drive so that you have a car for the weekend. The traffic you will encounter is regular rush hour traffic beteeen Manhattan and Nassau county between 4:30pm - 7:30pm on Friday. On the weekends there will be traffic in the afternoons around Roosevelt Field mall in Nassau County and a little traffic heading back into Manhattan around 6-7 pm on Sunday - other than that the majority of the time in the majority of locations you are fine.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,04,896 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Traffic and Travel in November

A. Depends on what time you arrive and budget. You will want a car to get around unless you're visiting someone who has a car. You'll need a taxi to get to the Jitney stop. Car service is clearly easier but VERY expensive.

B. Friday in Nov. is not as bad as July or August. Hour will make a difference.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Traffic and Travel in November

Staying in Southampton. I booked the flight into ISP instead of any NYC airports, because all the travel options and time to get to Southampton would've cost me more than just flying in and out of Islip. I'm now needing some kind of car service/Lyft from ISP to the home where I will be staying. Thanks for your help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,386 posts
117 reviews
7. Re: Traffic and Travel in November

You can use Uber from ISP to Southampton.

But it may be cheaper to rent a car. Don’t be afraid of driving that route....it’s very easy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,04,896 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Traffic and Travel in November

The Hampton Jitney has a pick up spot near Islip airport called the Islip airport connection on their schedules. You need to take a cab or car service to get to it and you need to book in advance so they know to pick you up. It's on a service road sort of not near much so I wouldn't do this if you,re arriving at night. It will be a LOT cheaper than a car service but you'll then need to get from the Jitney stop to your final destination. I hope you're staying with someone who has a car. Otherwise you really need to rent one or spend a lot on Uber’s.

Reply to: Traffic and Travel in November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southampton
More Southampton Topics