We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamptons south or east?

Richwood, Texas
10 posts
Hamptons south or east?

This is very short notice but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with a couple of decisions. My family of 4 (husband, 18yr old, 16yr old and myself) booked a trip to NY in 2 weeks. I figured instead of spending the entire time in the big city we could finish our trip in the Hamptons. I was thinking beach in the evening time, local shopping and sight seeing during the day. I would prefer local boutiques verses high end stores. Possibly bike riding, paddle boarding and just relaxing a few days since we will have just left the city. I was thinking about South Hamptons verses Montauk just due to the driving distance. Still haven't decided for sure on South or East unless someone could tell me with what I've described above, which would be best. thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
119 reviews
11. Re: Hamptons south or east?

"I don’t know how to say this without sounding tacky but I’ve heard Jersey Shore is not the cleanest place"..And where did you hear that? OMG

The Jersey Shore has 130 miles of beach towns. All have their own unique qualities and have a huge variety of activities, etc.

For your age kids, I would recommend Asbury Park. Great beach, restaurants, music venues, etc. The new Asbury Hotel if you can get a room.. You don't need to rent a car. NJ Transit has trains from Penn Station, NYC to Asbury Park (and many other shore towns).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
48 reviews
12. Re: Hamptons south or east?

If you decide to go to the Hamptons, if you don't have a beach sticker (which either won't be available or isn't worth buying for just a few days), Southampton, East Hampton, and Montauk have the Hamptons Free Ride. You park your car in long term parking in town and these little electric carts pick you up and take you to the beaches. They come every 20 minutes or so. They're free, but I always tip $5 each way (more for your entire family). Check the site below:

http://thefreeride.com/hamptons.php

Edited: 07 July 2018, 05:43
Reply to: Hamptons south or east?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southampton
More Southampton Topics