We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

Just wondering since I've read mixed reviews of AirTrain here and there. The other choice is JetBlue with a layover in NYC, which isn't bad but it does add some time to the trip that's not in the direct flight to Orlando.

I flew AirTran once to Vegas, but was in "first class" so it was pretty nice.

Love to hear people's experiences from here to Orlando, direct if possible!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

AirTran is a discount airlines, but not significantly worse than other airlines. I'd always opt for non-stop travel.

I have found out (the hard way, more than once) that AT doesn't have cooperative agreements with any other airlines, so if there is a problem, you're stuck with their options.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

When I lived in Rochester, I flew down here to Florida fairly often (my parents have lived here for a while.)

I flew AirTran and JetBlue almost exclusively. I prefer JetBlue, but when they cancelled their direct flight from Rochester, I opted for AirTran instead. I have no issues with AirTran, and having the direct flight is really nice.

I've also flown out of Buffalo for more direct options.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

Thanks! I've read all kinds of things about their tight seating and bad service and such, so it's nice to hear someone not having a problem.

The coach seating that people consider tight in reviews is pretty standard from what I've seen, on airlines other than JetBlue.

AirTran's first class option is 2x what Delta's is, for some reason. I am really just trying to avoid Delta given the trouble I've had with them over the years and really hating the Atlanta airport.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

I'm really not a fan of Delta. We had a disaster on our honeymoon.

If it helps, if the price is within about $20, with AirTran being more, I would pick AirTran over United/USAir/Delta.

A day before you're due to fly and can check in, AirTran opens up the option to pick a business class seat for about $65/leg....and then you get all the perks of being in that class (if you're adults flying to Orlando, it's totally worth it...) You're also able to pick Exit Row, which I believe is $15 more and you should get priority boarding and free wifi.

ETA: my husband is tall, so when possible, we try to upgrade on direct flights.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 19:56
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

I have never flown AirTran because i have a friend who was a flight attendant for them. She made me PROMISE never to fly that airline! She told of so many dangerous situations/equipment problems... I took the vow. This was several years ago, though... so, let's hope that things have improved big-time!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

Airtran is fine, the direct flight is full of Disney goers (ie, kids) and fast. I've never run into service problems or significant delays.

Now if you want to talk about United in Rochester I'll give you and earful!!

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

Good tip on the upgrades, Kat!

I decided to use my JetBlue points instead and just take the hop from NYC.

Really hate flying thru Atlanta. I always have a bad experience, either from having to run from gate to gate while they try and decide where the next plane is coming in or just a horrible, bumpy ride in and out.

The only upside to Delta was that their first class flight from ROC to MCO was half the price of AirTran's.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 20:17
Finger Lakes, NY
Level Contributor
123 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

We always use the Air Tran service when we visit Orlando - Direct flight is SOOOO worth it. First of all, the seats are not really any worse than other airlines and service, et al is similar. Keep in mind, you will be in Orlando in just over 2 hours with no hassle at all. My flights to MCO have always been on time or early and I would never consider anyone else.

9. Re: AirTran to direct flight to Orlando from ROC. Opinions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Rochester