We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rochester area to Niagara Falls

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Rochester area to Niagara Falls

we are thinking of staying in the Rochester area on our way from the Adirondaacks and on our way to the Falls ...which route would be the best ...we like scenary ..is the Lake ontario state Parkway worth the detour.

We are going to have 2 nights at the falls before going off to the finger lakes.

Is it best to stay in Rochester or outside the town...

Any help would be appreciated

Rochester, New York
Destination Expert
for Rochester
Level Contributor
450 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rochester area to Niagara Falls

I like taking the parkway, it's more scenic and pleasant. Sometimes I take Rts 31 or 104 too, just for a change of scenery. But I like taking it slower when I can and going through small towns along the way. It would probably drive some people nuts though. These aren't spectacularly scenic drives, so I wouldn't say you should absolutely do it, it just depends on how soon you want to get there and how much you enjoy driving through farmlands and small towns. Also keep in mind that the parkway doesn't always hug the shore, so there will be long stretches where you can't see the lake, although you will pass some wineries, farm markets (which may be closed for the season), and orchards.

Niagara Falls is not that far from Rochester, so I don't know that you need to stay here overnight before pushing on. It depends on what time you get in, how tired of driving you'll be by that point, and whether you want to look around the Rochester area before going to NF. I'd probably opt for something along your route, whether it's the Thruway or the parkway. There are plenty of hotels in Henrietta just off the Thruway and for the Parkway you can find places in Greece, around the junction of 390 and 104.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rochester area to Niagara Falls

Thanks so much for the info...As its not going to "ruin" our holiday if we don't take the parkway I think I'll give it a miss....

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rochester area to Niagara Falls

I just saw this after I posted a response in the Utica section. YankeeDave and I seem to have the same assessment of the parkway. We also have the same assessment of the need of staying in Rochester before going to the falls. I can assure you, though, we do not have the same assessment of NY baseball teams.

:)

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rochester area to Niagara Falls

Taking the Thruway (Rt 90) to 290 to 190 is the quickest way. It's almost exactly an hour and 45 minutes from Rochester to Niagara Falls, NY. If you want to stay overnight in Niagara Falls, I would recommend the Canadian side of the Falls.

If you want to stay somewhere on your route, I would check out a B&B in the Finger Lakes.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rochester area to Niagara Falls

Thanks ...we are planning to stop on the Finger lakes for 1 night after the Falls then go to Williamstown on our journey towards Cap Cod....as we plan to leave the Falls or where ever we stay early morning ( being retired ..and on holiday .....I mean about 9.30am !!) and head straight to the Finger lakes we should have 1 and a half days in the area...where would you suggest is the best town/village to stay ...I had thought of Sheldrake..through no other reason that it looks in the middle of the largest lake....any help would be appreciated ....I was intersted in the comments about the basketball teams !!!!!!!!!

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rochester area to Niagara Falls

You actually made me look up Sheldrake, NY, and it turns out I go through there fairly regularly. You also made me look up Williamston, and I'm not sure if you mean Williamston, NY or Williamston MA. I'm assuming the latter.

Between this and the Utica post, I think I'm getting an idea of your intentions - leave Lake George in the AM for Niagara Falls. Stay over Niagara Falls, leave the next morning for Finger Lakes, leave the next morning for Cape Cod? The only thing I'm not sure of is whether you plan on staying someplace between Lake George and Niagara Falls.

Lake George to Niagara Falls is 5.5 hours of determined driving. If you left Lake George at 9, with only a quick stop for lunch, that would put you in NF about 3PM, which would give you about 3-4 hours of light there. I don't know if you would have time to head to the Canadian side on that schedule.

Assuming you plane on stopping, I may suggest a more leisurely driving route with opportunity for stops. You mentioned about 8 hours total driving/day, so from Lake George you could take the routes mentioned previously and get to Niagara Falls for dinner, stay there two nights, then leave for the Finger Lakes.

That time of year you may be well suited to take a route toward the southern Finger Lake cities of either Watkins Glen or Ithaca (I prefer the latter, but it's a larger college town and hotels may be tough that time of year, weekdays would be vastly better), but you could go through Letchworth State Park on your way. Niagara Falls to Ithaca with frequent shortish stops for pictures or perusing could easily be done in about 8 hours, routing through Letchworth, then you'd have opportunity for the falls in the Ithaca area (including one higher than Niagara).

The next day, from there, you could work your way toward I-88 and Albany, a much nicer drive through the Catskills. This would get you back on the NY Thruway/Mass Pike and in the vicinity of Williamston, MA.

I hope I have your planning right - I am not trying to confuse....

7. Re: Rochester area to Niagara Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 17:49
Get answers to your questions about Rochester