We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

Rochester, New York
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

I have a flight departing Rochester NY (Airtran) heading to DC on Sunday July 8th at 6am and I was thinking about getting to the airport around 4:45. It's not a huge airport and I am getting dropped off, so parking isn't an issue, however, I am checking a bag. Should that be enough time?

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

You're fine. We had a 6am flight once and got to the airport at 4am. The airline counter to check a bag didn't open until 4:30am (it was with JetBlue.)

Later in the morning you'd probably want to give yourself closer to an hour and a half, but that early you're fine with that time frame.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
417 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

that should be fine. Can you believe how EARLY you have to arrive for flights?

I would love to tell you that you don't have to get there that early... but you NEVER know!

Lynn in Rochester NY

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

If I'm looking at booking a few evening flights, how far in advance should I get there?

Im hoping to book them this weekend (to fly late oct, early nov).

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

I always leave 2 hours early just to be safe.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

They tell you to get there two hours prior, but flying out of ROC, I've never had a problem getting there one hour ahead. Of course, you never know....

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

Yeah, about an hour and a half at any point is going to be plenty of time. The only delay I've ever encountered has been to check bags, I don't think I've ever taken more than 20 minutes at security.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

I take the 6am flight regularly and if I don't have bags to check, I arrive no later than 5:15am and I'm fine, even if the security line is LONG.

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

FWIW, I just went through on Monday and security was <5 minutes. 11am flight (boarding @~10:30a).

I never thought I'd ever say this about TSA, but ROC TSA were the most pleasant TSA people I've ever dealt with. You have to understand how much I loathe the TSA. I thought the only pleasant things I'd say about the TSA were when they were finally(wishful thinking?) gone.

TSA ROC employees were all smiling, all very pleasant and conversational, no barking of orders, no nitpicking of every single thing. With the exception of the nude-o-scope, it was almost as pleasant as pre-9/11 security. If TSA could get things to this level across-the-country, I'd consider flying again for more than just business. Unfortunately this is the exception rather than the rule.

Edited: 30 September 2012, 21:54
Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

FLNomad: Fun fact! Rochester's TSA is run by a private company. One of the few airports like that in the country.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Early to Arrive at the Airport?

Airtran's website will probably tell you what time their desk opens in the morning. I need to find out, too. Delta was 5am I beleive. We got there at 5 for like a 6:15, and sat around for at least an hour.

I do advise you to still go early though because one time our international flight connection was cancelled, and they needed to switch us to another flight that left earlier. Better safe than sorry! You can sleep on the plane :)

Get answers to your questions about Rochester