We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to park car in Plattsburgh while travelling to NYC

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Where to park car in Plattsburgh while travelling to NYC

I'm thinking of driving to Plattsburgh and then taking the bus to NY City from there so that I dont have to go through customs with a whole bus full of people, which I've found in the past can really slow things down if one person doesn't have papers in order...But can someone tell me if there is somewhere I can park and leave my car in Plattsburgh for three days while in NY?

I seem to remember that the Greyhound bus pickup there is in a shopping mall parking lot of some kind, but I didnt know if I could just park and leave my car there...

Thanks for anyone who can help.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to park car in Plattsburgh while travelling to NYC

Your car has the Ontario license plate and you're planning to leave it for a few days near a bus stop in Plattsburgh, right? Plattsburgh is probably much safer than many towns of the same size but still when a strange car is parked in one spot for a longer period is it's a red flag. The only place I wouldn't hesitate to park would be the airport. You would need to take a taxi to get to a bus stop and than after your trip taxi back. Would you consider driving to Montreal and then taking a train from there to NYC? Border patrol gets on a train before the border and it's a smooth operation. It least used to be. Good luck!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to park car in Plattsburgh while travelling to NYC

Thanks for the advice...I was wondering if there was maybe a parking garage where I could pay to park for the three days somewhere near the bus station...so If I do go, I guess it will be the airport...Thanks for the train suggestion...I've taken it before from Montreal and it's a scenic trip but it also takes a few hours longer than the bus and I want to get to NY earlier in the evening if possible...

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to park car in Plattsburgh while travelling to NYC

Did you consider driving to Albany and taking the train from there? From Albany you would have several trains to Manhattan. My husband used to park there often while traveling for business to NYC. He sometimes parked his Mercedes for several days. Just an idea. I don't have any experience with buses from Albany. BTW, parking at the airport in Plattsburgh is still free.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to park car in Plattsburgh while travelling to NYC

Parking at the airport is no longer free, as of March 1. The bus stop is no longer at that mall, but is at the Best Value Inn motel behind the Butcher Block restaurant. I'm thinking the motel might be amenable to your leaving the car there; it doesn't hurt to ask. That lot is kind of tucked away, so your car might be OK there anyway. Good luck!

5. Re: Where to park car in Plattsburgh while travelling to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 18:48