We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall trip

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fall trip

I am planning to take train ride to visit Plattsburgh or Burlington VT for rental car pickup then drive around for fall scenic drives to adrionics, Montreal in early oct. Is Is week oct an early fall ? Or can be lucky to catch peak colors (off corse hard to guess).

From NYC the train has two routes, through NY state and VT. Which one is more scenic? I need advise if we can make a loop from VT to Montreal and enter back into NY and drive to Adrionic for old forge and big moose fall rail scenic rail road - any other fall scenic suggestions?

Which area has ferry to cross over with car to VT.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
1 reply
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall trip

Early October is good.

Ferries on NY side are at Port Kent, Essex and Plattsburgh and each are of different length.

Burlington is livelier than Plattsburgh so I would spend time there. The Plattsburgh ferry lands not far from Burlington on the VT side.

The Blue Mountain Lake area of the Adirondacks is especially beautiful as is the area around Lake Placid and Saranac Lake.

Mentioned in this post
Burlington
Burlington
Ontario, Canada
Reply to: Fall trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted