We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German Autobahn sites vs. Salzburg area for few days?

Pekin, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
German Autobahn sites vs. Salzburg area for few days?

Munich, Upper Bavaria, Salzburg. Renting car 10 days

There have been several extremely helpful responses from my earlier posts, as I have been planning this trip since last Fall (2015)! Thank you all! I have made some great changes due to your suggestions. With just 5 weeks to go, I would greatly appreciate some assistance with the last few details. I am looking for suggestions to make the best of the few days that we have in Munich, Upper Bavaria, and Salzburg area. I am traveling with my father and husband and neither of them want to hike, so I am trying to be sensitive to that. I love photography and I am hoping to capture some of the beauty of Bavaria.

Day 1 and 2: Munich

Arrive at Munich airport at 1:30pm. Rent car from airport. Staying in Lehel area 2 nights. Hoping to visit Marienplatz, Glockenspiel, St. Pete's Church, English Garden and possibly Olympia Park or BMW Museum. Meals at Ratskeller or Seehaus in English Garden? We are considering Mike's Bike tour on Day 2. Has anyone taken the hop on hop off bus tours around Munich? Do you recommend? Dinner at Kuffler Seehaus in English Garden.

Day 3: Upper Bavaria drive and stay in Bad Wiessee on Lake Tegernsee

Stop 1: Fussen or Zugspitze:

Drive to Upper Bavaria area for the day and night. Considering driving straight to Fussen to photograph Neuschwanstein from Queen Mary's Bridge, now that it is open again. Or possibly skip Fussen all together and driving from Munich to Ehrwald to take the cable car from Tiroler Zugspitzbahn to Zugspitze, if the skies are clear. However, it seems that I have read that they are typically clearer very early in the morning and may not be so clear by 10 am. I am wondering if this is a must do with my limited time in the area. I want to have time to see some quaint little Bavarian towns and photograph buildings, lakes, and countryside.

Stop 2: Garmisch

I had considered seeing the ski jump at Olympic Stadium. Is this worth the time on a limited schedule?

Stop 3: Schloss Linderhof

Tour the main palace for about 1 hour. Is there anything else in the area worth seeing if we have to give up something?

Stop 4: Bad Tolz/Bad Weissee on Lake Tegernsee.

Staying the night in Bad Weissee on Lake Tegernsee. Should we give up something else to spend more time around the Lake? Should we have headed straight to Austria, rather than the destinations above and spent our time in Austria? If so, where?

Day 4: Destination is hotel in Ried, Austria/St. Gilgen on Wolfgangsee for 2 nights.

Stop 1: Herrenchiemsee:

Drive from Bad Weissee to Reid, near St. Gilgen on the Wolfgansee. We are considering stopping at Herrenchiemsee first. I would like to hear opinions on how long we should stay and if we should do a boat ride here or just take photos of outside and move on, considering the other items on my itinerary for this day.

Stop 2: Berchtesgaden/Eagles Nest/Koenigsee:

Is it worth the time to go up to Eagles Nest or should be spend more time on Koenigsee on a boat ride? Should we drive to The Rossfeld Panorama Road or do the Jennerbahn cable car for the view instead of Eagles Nest?

Stop 3: Salzburg for a 2 hour walk and dinner before driving to our hotel in Ried/St. Gilgen (staying for 2 nights) on Wolfgansee or drive straight to Wolfgansee to enjoy the evening around the lake at our hotel and visite Salzburg the next day?

Stop 4: Driving to our hotel from Salzburg (if we stopped there on this day) to Ried/St. Gilgen (staying for 2 nights).

Day 5: Upper Austria.

Choices are Hallstatt, Fushl, Bad Ischl, Bad Goisern, or Salzburg, while we are staying another night on the Wolfgangsee. What is the best of all of these? Hallstatt looks adorable to photograph! My father has a fear of confined spaces, so I don't think he would go on a Salt Mine tour, which I am sort of interested in. But then again, I want to see more of the beautiful countryside!

Day 6: Erding, Germany

Drive from Ried/St. Gilgen to Erding to visit with family all day and evening.

Day 7: Munich

Return car at Munich airport, take train to Karlsplatz area and have time for 1/2 day of sight seeing and dinner. May possibly try to see some of the tents set up for Oktoberfest that starts the following day.

Day 8: Munich

Oktoberfest parade: Any suggestions of good spot for either the parade or watching from far away to photograph? Visit Oktoberfest. I know if will be crazy busy on this first Saturday of the event. It will just be my husband and I and we don't care about getting in a tent. We just want to walk around for a while and people watch early in the day. Dinner at Loewenbraeukeller or a meal at Burger House?

Day 9: Munich

Tour more of Munich: Possibly Michael Jackson Memorial, Viktualienmarket (lunch at a beer garden here), Augustiner-Keller. Any other suggestions in the area?

Day 10: Travel Home.

Once again, thank you all so much for your help over the past several months! I love Trip Advisor!

Wendy

Edited: 06 August 2016, 19:47
Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Upper Bavaria
Upper Bavaria
Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Munich Airport
Munich Airport
Hallbergmoos, Germany
Marienplatz
Marienplatz
21,140 Reviews
Munich, Germany
English Garden
English Garden
15,294 Reviews
Munich, Germany
BMW Museum
BMW Museum
8,590 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Seehaus
Seehaus
606 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Bad Wiessee
Bad Wiessee
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Lake Tegernsee
Lake Tegernsee
388 Reviews
Tegernsee, Germany
Fussen
Fussen
Swabia, Germany
Zugspitze
Zugspitze
3,390 Reviews
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
Austria
Austria
Europe
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
The Eagle's Nest
The Eagle's Nest
2,243 Reviews
Berchtesgaden, Germany
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Erding
Erding
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Michael Jackson Memorial
Michael Jackson Memorial
81 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Augustiner-Keller
Augustiner-Keller
4,016 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Best Seller
Munich City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
1,009 Reviews
from US$ 19.70*
Munich Bike Tour
165 Reviews
from US$ 34.20*
Panoramic Hop-On Hop-Off Tour of...
75 Reviews
from US$ 17.30*
2 replies to this topic
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: German Autobahn sites vs. Salzburg area for few days?

You would be better to rent a car in central Munich when you want to leave the city and then return it there. One the rental is 20% cheaper if not from the airport or main station (Hauptbahnhof) and you won't have to find and pay to park it.

City pickup and return would avoid having to use the third party company that deals with returnns at the airport, they seem to get a bonus if they find extra damage. If you do use the airport then be very careful to check the car and get all damage noted, that includes under the front number plate where the car can get scraped with nose in parking

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Pekin, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: German Autobahn sites vs. Salzburg area for few days?

Thank you for the tip!

Reply to: German Autobahn sites vs. Salzburg area for few days?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salzburg