We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stone Fence Resort, Ogdensburg, NY

Greene, RI
2 posts
1 review
Stone Fence Resort, Ogdensburg, NY

Has anyone else had this experience?

Warning: We stayed at Stone Fence Resort over the weekend of 9/24/05. There is a flea infestation in one or more of the Townhouses and we unfortunately found that out the hard way. Five minutes in our first room was enough to allow fleas to get into our belongings and our car when we returned home from our stay at Stone Fence. The replacement room showed no sign of live fleas but did have dead fleas on one of the bathroom floors. We decided to remain at the resort as we were only sleeping in their hard beds and there were no other availabilities in the area that weekend. We were visiting our daughter at St. Lawrence University 20 miles away for Parent's Weekend. The management has shown no remorse for our predicament other than to have provided us a new room. The staff was not aware of any flea problem when I called on Monday morning to report the fleas coming home with us. That includes the cleaning staff. The manager would not answer my calls and emails have proven useless. I have informed the Better Business Bureau and am notifying AAA and the Tripadvisor website to advise others to be careful or better, stay away! Please note that the named "hosts" on the Stone Fence website are apparently no longer "our hosts". Good luck to all and I wish you better luck than we had. We were totally dissatisfied!

Level Contributor
1 post
178 reviews
1. Re: Stone Fence Resort, Ogdensburg, NY

Thank you so much for giving us the heads-up on the Stone Fence Resort. My husband and I usually stay there once or twice a year when we're in the area. We just found out that it has changed hands and the new proprietor's are not accommodating at all. We will have to find a new place to stay since we don't want to have to "deal" with fleas or any "hosts" that won't make good on a complaint.

Virginia Beach
1 post
2. Re: Stone Fence Resort, Ogdensburg, NY

I am sorry I did not research this site before traveling to Ogdensburg. From the website I thought the Stone Fence looked like a decent place and had options for the three teenagers we were bringing. The website has not been updated and/or is not accurate. The pool is not heated as claimed. The hot breakfast bar is a glorified Continental - yes there were decent eggs and sausage every morning but no pancakes as claimed - there was French toast to put in the (very slow) toaster. Otherwise it was packaged plain donuts, packaged fruit cups, packaged juices, etc. After five mornings the selection was boring. The Game Room had nothing that could be used. The pool table was missing a ball, there were no ping pong balls, the foosball table was broken, no paddles for air hockey and both pieces of exercise equipment were non-working. I did not see any paddle boats or canoes but I did not ask about them either. The tennis and basketball courts were nice. We stayed in one of the "townhouses." I thought from the description that it had two bathrooms - ours only had one. There are units with two bathrooms but I don't know what, if any, the price difference was. We did not have any flea issues as previously reported but did have wasps crawling in and out of the eaves in the loft. The restaurant is not open for any meals except breakfast . The kitchenette was not adequately stocked - we had one plate, 5 knives, 2 spoons, 2 cups, and no forks. The mini-fridge opened the wrong way and was difficult to access because of the location of a bedside table. The bed my husband and I slept in was very hard and the box spring was ripped and damaged. They do not use fitted sheets so the beds came apart during the night. The one ice machine I could find was not a dispensing type - the "scoop" was an old frying pan! I did find the staff to be polite and helpful and to their credit, they gave us a night free when I brought these issues to their attention at checkout. Not a do over for this family looking for general R and R, but would be acceptable for one or two nights if passing through.

canada
3 posts
3. Re: Stone Fence Resort, Ogdensburg, NY

Best advise to all stay away from Ogdensburg.. Stay in Alexandria or Massena.

Een better Stay in Canada where it is way cleaner.

4. Re: Stone Fence Resort, Ogdensburg, NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 06:50
Get answers to your questions about Ogdensburg