We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Greece - 6 days

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Greece - 6 days

Hi ,

We are 2 girls planning greece in sept .. Would appreciate all help possible in planning this trip.

- Is sept good to travel ? will it be Hot or cool ? Expensive & crowded ?

- we are there for 6 nights. and have kept athens for the last 2 days since we fly out from athen - and would love to see acropolis and city life etc

- from all the forums we have figured out that in 4 days we can do maximum 2 islands.. whats the best combination Fira / Santorini or Mykanos ? We would love to laze aroudn in the day, cycle , wander around ( live like a local) and maybe a bit of party at nights.

- can we go to the isalands directly after landing ?

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
13 replies to this topic
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

You certainly can go to the islands directly after landing if you fly from Athens, in fact with such a short trip that would be advisable. Fira is a town on the island of Santorini, one of several overlooking the caldera. It's the hub for the island bus services and has the most nightlife.

Two islands with only four days (nights?) is rushed, but possible. You will spend most of one day travelling between islands, and spend most of another day going back to Athens, so that takes away from usable time for sightseeing and relaxing. Were it me I would choose one island + Athens instead of two.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,906 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

I agree with Heimdall. When island hopping you should always take into consideration that even if distances between islands don't look far every time you get up and move the best part of one day will be lost from your itinerary (you shall pack\unpack, check out and in of hotels, transport to and from ports, some waiting time in ports, time for embarking\disembarking and the actual time used for the journey).

You will also have to adjust to the ferry schedules departure time. Often there is only one or two ferries daily between the destinations – even in main season.

Also take into consideration that staying anywhere for 2 nights will only equal one full day.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

Hi Heimdall, Greek-traveller, thanks so much for your inputs.. You are right, in our excitement we did tend to overlook the travel time / logistics when planning the travel.. So what you are suggesting that we do four nights in Santorini and 2 in Athens..

Pardon my ignorance but Fira is on santorini... ? so when we say we want to go to fira , we are actually goingto santorini ?

Also have a lot about Naxos .. ? Would you suggest we do that instead?

Appreciate your help.. :)

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

Fira is the capital city on Santorini island. Santorini island is also known as THIRA.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Hotel Thira and Apartments
Hotel Thira and...
213 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

"Will it be hot or cold?"

You can google weather averages.

holiday-weather.com/santorini/…

As to whether that's hot or cold, that's entirely down to what you're used to. I live in England so I'd consider those temps to be "hot". As you come from Mumbai, I suspect you would think differently....

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

September is a great time to visit Greece. The weather is warm and it is starting to become less crowded as the season is beginning to draw to and end. From the mainland, you can take a ferry (6-8 hours) or a flight (45 minutes). I would highly recommend Santorini over Mykonos, if you cannot do both. Santorini has beautiful beaches, but also since it's volcanic island, you get the caldera and magnificent volcano views! Something no other Greek island can offer

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

Yes, Fira is part of Santorini, but not really big enough to be called a city. Here is a map of the island:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/santorini-map-and-…

Whether you do one island or two is up to you, but be prepared to lose most of a day to checking in and out of hotels, going to/from the ferry ports, and actual ferry travel. The same will happen when you move from the islands to Athens.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

Hi

Just to add context, me and my wife are also travelling to Greece for 16 days and basis my research, this is what I figured out.

1. Hotel prices get slashed in Sept, the sea is still warm for swimming.

2. Fira is the best place to stay if you wanna enjoy night life in Santorini, Oia is best for couples. Santorini's beaches are not popular for swimming.

3. You can probably give one full day to Athens, you won't miss much. Take a over night ferry and save on hotel cost as well, spend 3 nights each on two islands. Santorini is a couples kinda island, Mykonos and Ios are party islands but ios will be dead by then. Milos and Naxos have beautiful beaches and Naxos has much more to offer. Western Crete has the best beaches of the world - check out balos, eastern Crete has a town called Malia which has an amazing party scene even in Sept.

4. I suggest you take flights to save time and stick to one island for 4 days or do 2 for 6 days perhaps.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 09:19
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
9. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 June 2018, 13:12

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Greece - 6 days

Thanks All, @618ameets , @VegasShowgirl @Heimdall @Amber B .. Appreciate your advise.. I think what we will do is 2 nights in Athens and then head for Santorini and base ourselves in Fira and just explore the island.. From what we are seeing it has a lot of activity there itself.. ATV riding, beaches, nightlife and some really amazing hotels ( picture postcard types ) :)

Will be firming up the plan in a few days and let you all know how it goes.. In the meanwhile, if you have any more suggestions more tips / recommendations on what we must not miss ( restaurants / activity) etc on santorini, then pls pls do let me know..

Thankful to all of you..

Best Regds

Sonal

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Fira
Fira