We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk entire length of Rainbow Bridge without passports?

Ohio
Level Contributor
741 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Walk entire length of Rainbow Bridge without passports?

An unexpected additon to our vacation will take us to Niagara Falls however, expired children's passports will prevent us from traveling into Canada. Is it safe to assume we can walk the entire length of the bridge until reaching Canadian soil, then turn back?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk entire length of Rainbow Bridge without passports?

You'll need to hear from the experts to be sure, but I don't think so. If I recall correctly, getting onto the bridge means passing outside the US - even if you don't go into Canada, I would think that the US side would want to see passports when you return to the US side. Sorry - I hope I'm wrong.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,365 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk entire length of Rainbow Bridge without passports?

That's correct. Once you step onto the bridge, you have technically left the country and would require a passport to return. It can't actually happen because you have to pass through the customs building to get onto the bridge, and they check for passports before letting you go.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,365 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk entire length of Rainbow Bridge without passports?

Just re-read your post. Actually, the lack of passports wouldn't prevent you from entering Canada (although passports are best, photo ID and birth certificates would be acceptable). The passport requirement is for returning to the U.S., BUT, children under 16 don't need passports, just birth certificates.

From the CPB website:

Beginning June 1, 2009, ages 16 and older will be

required to present documents from one of the options

below when entering the United States at land or sea

ports of entry. Children under may present an original

or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report

of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate.

Ohio
Level Contributor
741 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk entire length of Rainbow Bridge without passports?

Right! I had forgotten that the children won't need passports if under the age of 16. Thanks so much for your reply. Canada, here we come.

5. Re: Walk entire length of Rainbow Bridge without passports?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 11:48