We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

NJ
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

to Canada? Thanks

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canada with Boat Ride...
1,092 Reviews
from US$ 109.95*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls America and Canada...
1,137 Reviews
from US$ 149.95*
Best Seller
Best of Niagara Falls Tour from...
816 Reviews
from US$ 125.10*
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,054 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

Not really too complicated. When you get to the customs booth, you will be asked for identification. A drivers license and birth certificate would be OK to enter Canada, but you will need a passport to return to the U.S., so best to use a passport both ways. You will be asked: your citizenship and where you were born, the reason for your trip, how long you will be in the country, possibly where you will be staying if it is longer than a day, whether you have anything you will be leaving in Canada, if you have any guns or weapons and maybe some other similar questions. The important thing when crossing the border (either way) is to answer truthfully, be pleasant (no matter how obnoxious the official is because some of them can be) and don't be a smartass. Border guards (both ways) have a great deal of athority (for good reason) and can make the inspection process very unpleasant if they wish. Luckily, 99.9% of people have no problems at the border.

How long it takes depends on the time of year. In the winter, wait times at the bridges are generally just a few minutes. During the summer tourist season, it can be an hour or more.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,738 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

Hi Pattih39;

Crossing the border is pretty straight forward. Just answer the questions asked of you, clearly, straightforward, and to the point. Usually, it’s something along the line of;

• Citizenship?

• Destination?

• Purpose of your trip?

• How long will you be in Canada?

• Are you bringing any firearms into Canada?

• Are you bringing any fruits or vegetables into Canada ?

Some suggestions to make things run more smoothly;

• Remove your sunglasses, if applicable.

• Look at the border guard when speaking.

• Speak clearly

• Talk with respect – Yes Sir, No Ma’am

• Do not make jokes.

• Answer questions with straight forward replies.

• Only answer the question that is asked of you – don’t babble.

The border guards are trained to "read" people. Remain calm, be straight forward with your replies, and be truthful at all times.

You'll most likely be one of the 99% that Fallsdude mentioned in his reply, and will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Best Regards

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

I know taking fruits or veg into states is a no no but i just crossed @ border into Canada @ Detroit bridge. Told custums guy I had limes, advocado & Jicama (veg) This was not a problem for me. Also had salsa which is full of tomato. (u say tomatoe) (fruit or veg?) Plus beer which contains barley malt & hops. All was well. ITS.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

My husband and I both have passports, and have never had a problem. We even took our grandson, he was five, no passport, still no problem. At times we have had to wait a long time, (maybe an hour) other times and most of the time, we drive right through.

Have a good trip.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

I am not a US citizen. Would I require a visa to see Niagara from the other side?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,054 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

It depends what passport you hold and what your status in the U.S. is. This site will explain whether you would need a visa or not.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/visit/visas.asp

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

It is not complicated at all! As long as you have the proper identification, there shouldn't be any issues! All travelers, including citizens of the United States, Canada and Bermuda, entering or re-entering the United States will be required to have a passport, passport card or WHTI-compliant document. For more information about entry into the United States, visit the US Customs and Border Security website at www.getyouhome.gov.

~Niagara Tourism and Convention Corp.

Official Tourist Information for Niagara USA

New Hamburg...
Level Contributor
67 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

Avoid weekends and holidays as you will have to wait. Call

1-800-715-6722 and they will give the updated wait time.No delay report is 10 minutes. Cross at Ft.Erie Peace Bridge. Rainbow bridge Niagara Falls is too busy and so is Queenston Bridge in Lewiston.

9. Re: How complicated & how long does it take to cross the border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 10:45
Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls