We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a car in Niagara Falls?

KOG
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a car in Niagara Falls?

I am coming up to Niagara Falls next week and staying on the CA side. I will be flying into Buffalo and contemplating renting a car in Buffalo for my stay. Is it like Vegas where it is a waste of money to rent a car? I will be going to both sides as well as the park. Am I better off taking a Shuttle from Buffalo and staying somewhere centrally located? Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
6,827 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a car in Niagara Falls?

You don't absolutely need a car in Niagara Falls, BUT, shuttles are quite expensive and you could probably rent a car for the same price or less. You will have to pay for parking at most of the major hotels, but it gives you the freedom to explore the area (like Niagara on the Lake) without being limited to public transportation. If you do rent, be sure to let the company know that you will be driving in Canada, and also check with your own insurance company to make sure that you will be covered.

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
6,827 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
KOG
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a car in Niagara Falls?

Thanks a lot, Fallsdude.

Galway
Level Contributor
40 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a car in Niagara Falls?

no no no dont hire a car!!! i have just returned from Niagara falls. i flew into buffalo also and had contemplated hiring a car but so glad now that i didnt!! When you arrive at Buffalo and exit the main door turn left and there is a bus stop. get the 24 bus into downtown buffalo (its $1.50 if i remember correctly) and ask the driver to let you off at the greyhound station. Then get the 40 bus right into buffalo. both bus journeys are approx 20mins and you get to see some beautiful scenery.

From the american side you can walk across rainbow bridge which is few mins walk (we did it with luggage and it was fine). Everything in CA Niagara falls is within walking distance of Clifton Hill so book a hotel there. Rainbow bridge allows easy access to both sides but you do have to go through customs which is fine getting into canada but took ages getting back into USA. We took a taxi back to buffalo airport from Niagara falls and it was $50 for two with luggage. Just agree a price with the driver before departing or else check out the buses. There is a large info centre on the American side and i found the staff most helpful.

Anyway that was my experience. I had debated what to do re: transport and i couldnt seem to get a straight answer!! but i am glad that I didnt hire a car now and saved the expense of it.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
1,554 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Clifton Hill
Clifton Hill
2,874 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
United States
United States
North America
4. Re: Do I need a car in Niagara Falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 13:46