We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing to Canada from US

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Crossing to Canada from US

Does anyone know how the US records you exiting the country if you pass from Niagara NY to Canada via the Rainbow Bridge by foot? We are staying in NY and wanted to cross to Canada for a few hours to do the boat ride and then back again as we are staying on the US side. I'm visiting on the VWP. I know my 90 day period will still be valid when going back to the US, but how is my exit into Canada recorded? Anything else I need to know about crossing to and back from Canada?

4 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,573 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Crossing to Canada from US

Hi Lorenna2580;

>>how is my exit into Canada recorded?<<

Your I-94W Visa Waiver is electronically attached to your passport.

When you walk across the Rainbow Bridge into Canada, you must clear Canada Customs prior to entering. Canada & the US share computerized data.

The CBSA Officer will scan your passport when you arrive on the Canadian side, which will record your departure from the US.

>>I know my 90 day period will still be valid when going back to the US<<

FYI...your available 90 days include the time spent in Canada. As an example...

If you were to spend 10 days in the US + 5 days in Canada, you would have 75 days remaining on your visa waiver.

Best Regards

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Crossing to Canada from US

Side trips to Canada and Mexico are allowed as part of the U.S. Visa Waiver Program. They only care when you are leaving the country for the final time on the trip.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Crossing to Canada from US

Perfect, thanks. We are only going to the US for 2 weeks for Thanksgiving including a few hours over the Canadian side of Niagara one of the days so should be fine!

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,573 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Crossing to Canada from US

You're Welcome !

Reply to: Crossing to Canada from US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls