We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip to Niagara Falls in 1st Week January 2018

2 posts
1 review
One day trip to Niagara Falls in 1st Week January 2018

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning to make a one day trip to the falls (US side) from NY in 1st of week. Could someone please advise if a) it is doable in one day b)should we hire a car or take a tour c)budget we should allocate to this d)any other attractions around that we must see e)typical duration recommended

This is our first visit to the States from Australia, so any other tips are welcome and will be appreciated. Thanks all :)

4 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,823 posts
209 reviews
1. Re: One day trip to Niagara Falls in 1st Week January 2018

Niagara Falls is not a day trip from NYC and driving there in winter is not recommended due to the possible adverse weather conditions you could encounter on the way there (such as lake effect snow, poor visibility, ice). Taking a bus would be a long journey (9-10 hours minimum). Flights could have delays or be cancelled due to weather. Tours could be impacted by weather as well.

If wanting to visit the NY side only, activities are limited, There is more to do on the Canadian side at that time of year.

I would recommend giving Niagara Falls a skip at that time of year and focus on NYC. If you are insistent on heading there, I would fly.

Edited: 07 October 2018, 15:04
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
85,242 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: One day trip to Niagara Falls in 1st Week January 2018

Hi Priti;

FYI...Citizens of Australia only require their valid passports to visit Canada.

Best Regards

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,038 posts
3. Re: One day trip to Niagara Falls in 1st Week January 2018

Major sights on the US side (Maid of the Mist boat ride, walk into Cave of the Winds) are closed from November until end of April due to the weather - they need to wait for all the ice to clear the river. NF is really a warm weather destination. And in any case the only way to do a day trip is by air since NF is ore than 400 miles from NYC.

That said if you are coming to NYC have you looked at the average weather in Jan and do you have a complete winter wardrobe ready for the trip. Jan is the coldest and snowiest month, and while we re not in the snow belt we do get about 26" of snow in the average winter - mostly in dribs and drab of less than 6" each but a blizzard with more than 25" of snow is possible at any time.

2 posts
1 review
4. Re: One day trip to Niagara Falls in 1st Week January 2018

Hi all, thank you for your advise. We have dropped our plans for Niagara falls for this trip.

Best

Priti

Reply to: One day trip to Niagara Falls in 1st Week January 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted