We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See NY side before heading to Canada?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Topic
See NY side before heading to Canada?

Hi,

We will be arriving in Buffalo around 12:30pm 5/29/17, will rent car and then head to the Canadian side (will spend 2-3 days there touring city/falls and doing a college visit for DS16). DH and I have seen the falls from Canada during winter, and after searching both forums it looks like the overwhelming consensus is that the Canadian side is better.

My question is whether or not the cave of the winds is worth spending a few hours in NY before heading over to Canada? Maybe in lieu of the behind the falls tour in Canada? If it's really not much difference, we can use the extra hours doing something different in Canada, but if it's a really unique experience, then I'm happy to spend the extra time in NY. Our kids are 8, 12, and 16; which of those experiences would be better for them (just your opinion, I know you can't speak for what my kids would like! )?

Thanks!

Over The Falls Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Gray Line Niagara Falls Sightseeing Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Niagara Pedicab
Sightseeing Tours
Niagara Falls Adventure Tours
Walking Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
6 replies to this topic
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,459 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: See NY side before heading to Canada?

The Cave of the Winds, located on the American side, starts with an elevator ride down approx. 53 metres / 175 feet into the Niagara Gorge to a series of wooden stairs and walkways leading you to within 6 metres / 20 feet of the Bridal Veil Falls.

niagarafallsstatepark.com/Activities_CaveOfT…

The Journey Behind the Falls, located on the Canadian side, starts with an elevator ride down approx. 45.72 metres / 150 feet through the bedrock that forms the Horseshoe Falls, to tunnels that will lead you to an area about 1/3 of the way behind the Falls. There are a number of lookout portals where you can watch as the torrents of water fall at approx. 40 Mph / 65 Km/H. Also, there are two observation decks that allow you to stand beside the foot of the Horseshoe Falls.

niagaraparks.com/attractions/behind-the-fall…

While the two sound quite similar, the experiences are quite different. If you can, I would suggest experiencing both !

Best Regards

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: See NY side before heading to Canada?

Cave of the Winds is, in my opinion, the best attraction on either side of the Falls. While the boat rides are the most popular, you don't get the same feeling as to the power of the falls as you do at Cave of the Winds - nor are the views as good. When the boats are in the center of the Horseshoe Falls you get wet, but can't see very well due to all of the water. It's like being in the middle of a rain storm. Cave of the Winds is literally having the waterfall on top of you.

Journey Behind the Falls is cool, but the observation deck doesn't get you as close as Cave of the Winds. Make sure to do the "Hurricane Deck".

Also on the US side make your way over to Luna Island - it's the most intimate, close-up feeling you can get at the top of the Falls.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,857 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: See NY side before heading to Canada?

I am in the minority because I prefer the quieter US side (it is a state park).

Cave of the Winds is great and I highly recommend it - as said it is a highlight of the NF experience.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: See NY side before heading to Canada?

Thank you so much for your replies! We will definitely do cave of the winds then, and we will try for Luna... do you think it's feasible to do it (if we get there 2-2:30) and still drive across border that evening, or should we spend the first night in NY?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,857 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: See NY side before heading to Canada?

You should be able to cross into Canada IMO.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: See NY side before heading to Canada?

Great, thanks so much for your opinions, we are looking forward to it!

Reply to: See NY side before heading to Canada?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted