We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

Hi, we are visiting Niagara Falls for a few hours on a Sunday in August. I understand it will be very busy at this time so I could do with some help with the planning.

1 We arrive into Buffalo Airport (from Boston) at 11.50am on a Jet Blue flight. I know its impossible to predict but are Jet Blue flights usually on time?

2 We are hiring a car and driving from the airport to Niagara Falls. We have tickets booked for Maid of the Mist and are intending on heading there first. The recommended parking is at 1 Prospect Street. Given that by the time we arrive it will be a Sunday afternoon how difficult is parking likely to be at this location?

3 We have a voucher for Maid of the Mist that needs to be exchanged for a ticket. I'm presuming the boats are always full at this time of year so are we likely to encounter a long wait until our allocated boarding time?

4 One of our party wears hearing aids and is concerned about water/mist damaging the aids when on the boat. I understand ponchos are provided, how watertight are the hoods?

5 We would like to walk the Rainbow Bridge into Canada. Can we leave the car in Prospect Street all day until we're ready to drive back to the airport? How far is the walk from Prospect Street to Maid of the Mist and then from Maid of the Mist to the Rainbow Bridge? (One of our party also has slight mobility issues.)

5 Our return flight from Buffalo is at 8.50pm. What time should be plan on leaving Niagara?

Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Essex, Connecticut
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

Regarding the question about hearing aids and the poncho hoods-the ponchos have a sweatshirt style tie around the neck you can use to tighten the hood. With that being said though they are cheap poncho's so they might also want to wear an additional covering to ensure dry ears.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

2. No way to know about parking. If that lot is full, there are a couple of private lots in the area.

3. It is likely that you will wait to get tickets and then wait in another line for the elevator down to river level.

5. That parking lot is right at the Maid of the Mist entrance AND the Rainbow Bridge. The bridge is about 1/4 mile long. If you are all Irish citizens, you will only need your passport to enter Canada. Toll for the bridge is 50¢ cash each, U.S. bound only.

6. You should probably leave no later than 6:30pm. It's about a 45 min drive, plus car return, giving you plenty of time for check in and security.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,335 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

I would NOT rely on the ponchos provided to keep your hearing aids protected.

Best Regards

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

Thank you all, much appreciated.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

Agree that you would need protection for the hearing aids.

Can they take them out and put them something like a small ziploc bag? That would be the best solution.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

That would be sensible thank you. This may seem a silly question but when does the water start spraying? He is unable to converse with anyone once the aids are removed so will want to keep them in as long as possible.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

Depending on wind direction, the mist could be blowing at you anytime, but generally after you have passed in from of the American Falls and headed to the Horseshoe Falls.

This also may seem like a silly question, but what does a person that requires a hearing aid do when it rains?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

"what does a person that requires a hearing aid do when it rains?"

Depends on the type of hearing aid. Mine are partially outside of my ears so I don't wear them when it rains.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August

Living in Galway we are used to the rain so hats, coats and umbrellas are never too far away!

Reply to: A few hours in Niagara Falls in August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted