We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

I'm planning to drive from Niagara to NYC this Memorial day. When I see the route on maps, route having tolls show a 6:30 hrs trip (on I-90) where as when I chose Avoid tolls, trip time came around 9 hours (Via Rochester, Albany). I would not risk to drive additional 2:30 hrs. Can someone help with the total cost of the toll we might have to pay before we reach Manhattan? This info will help to see if can reduce using toll roads by detouring via Rochester.

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,015 Reviews
from US$ 109.95*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls in One Day: Deluxe...
1,056 Reviews
from US$ 149.95*
Best Seller
Best of Niagara Falls Tour from...
786 Reviews
from US$ 123.80*
19 replies to this topic
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,558 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

NYC tolls: www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html EZ-Pass discount is for NYS issued tags only. Some bridge/tunnel tolls appear high as they are collected in one direction only (to prevent permanent gridlock)

NY Thruway toll calculator www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/tolls/calc/

NJ toll rates and calculator www.state.nj.us/turnpike/toll-rates.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

The driving times are very short - it will take longer than that even if you take the main highways and pay all of the tolls. And IMHO to save $25 or so and take extra hours of driving makes no sense at all - unless you are stopping at places that you want to see. (This assumes you are driving a regular car. Anything with additional axles costs much more.)

Getting from NJ into NYC costs $15 (bridge or tunnel) and then there are extra tolls on the NY Thruway. But IMHO to save a few $ driving all over hell and gone makes no sense.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

Thanks for your response nytraveler2016.

I'm from Tennessee where we never come across any Toll or we skip them with no much difference in the trip time. I was assuming that the toll charges would be $100+. So from your reply it looks like at most it would cost $40-$50 right?

Is this applicable for all the routes from Niagara to NYC? Via I-90 E and I-81 S or via I-86 E and I-80 E?

How does toll work? If I drive between multiple interstates, will I end up paying more toll? Like If I start on I-90 and after 100 miles I move on to I-84 etc.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

No tolls on I-86 and I-81 in NYS and I believe the only I-84 toll is at the Hudson River (eastbound) and is modest ($1 or so). It is about $16 on the Thruway (I-87/I-90) from Harriman to Buffalo.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
241 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

Don't take the Thruway (I-90 to I-87) the whole way - it's not the quickest (and the tolls are more). I also don't recommend I-90 to I-81 the way Google usually says - more tolls and it's longer.

I would take the 190 south out of Niagara Falls to the 90 east. There will be a $1 toll to go over Grand Island, but then you hit the untolled section of the 90 near buffalo. Get off at the 400 south (next exit - 54), take that to route 20A (East Aurora) and head east on 20A. Take that out to Mount Morris, right on route 36 then left on route 408 and get on I-390 south. Take that until it merges with I-86 - take I-86 east. Get off at I-81 south in Binghamton. Take that to Scranton PA and get on I-380 south. Take that until it hits I-80 and get on I-80 east. There's a $1 toll on I-80 in New Jersey (crossing a bridge). Then depending on where you are going in NYC the directions differ, but tolls at most entries (tunnels and bridges) are $15.

So your total should be about $17.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

@astroguy22 .. Thank you very much for your response.

Following the route you suggested I tried to set it on Google maps and I ended up with 2 routes to reach 52nd street, NY. One via Lincoln tunnel and the other via George Washington bridge.

Do any of these 2 routes have any additional tolls other than the toll at the bridges and tunnels?

1) I-80 E -> US-46 E or US 19 -> NJ-3 E -> NJ-495 E -> NY-495 E -> Lincoln tunnel

2) I-80 E -> I-95 N -> US-1 N/U.S. 9 N -> I-95 Lower Level N -> George Washington Bridge

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,246 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

Where on 52nd Street are you going? That may affect the recommended route.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

SP+ Parking @ Simon Theater, 888 8th Ave, New York, NY 10019

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
241 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

I'm actually not all that familiar with NYC itself - only driven there a few times. I took the Lincoln Tunnel and didn't incur any additional tolls beyond the $1 bridge in New Jersey and the (rather expensive, IMO) toll to use the tunnel.

staten island
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC

Astroguy22's route is the route I use. It's light on traffic most of the time and plenty of rest stops.

There are no additional tolls (I-80 to 46) . There's also no toll on I-80. The $1 is westbound only.

Reply to: How much does the toll cost to drive from Niagara to NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted