We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lalibela > Yemrehanna Kristos > Mekele

United States
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lalibela > Yemrehanna Kristos > Mekele

Hi, I'm planning an itinerary as below. I wanted to know if it's possible to find transportation from Lalibela to Yemrehanna Kristos to Mekele on the same day. How many hours is it supposed to take? Please see the SUNDAY part in below itinerary and let me know if it's possible or not.

SATURDAY:

- Fly from Addis to Lalibela in the morning.

- Explore the Saturday Market

- Afternoon tour of the Northern group of Churches

- Sunset views from Ben Abeba

SUNDAY:

- Early morning tour of Southern group of Churches

- Transport from Lalibela to Yemrehanna Kristos

- Transport from Yemrehanna Kristos to Mekele

6 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lalibela > Yemrehanna Kristos > Mekele

Impossible.

Lalibela > Mekele needs 1 full day of transport (either public or private).

Saint-Jorioz, France
Level Contributor
59 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lalibela > Yemrehanna Kristos > Mekele

My short experience :I hired and travelled last February from Mekele to Lalibela in a private "minibus" , we left at 8 a.m and we got there at night around 7.30 p.m. We were not suppose to drive at night, and we made it with fear, animals on the road, roads bumps and holes. To get in or out Lalibela can be trikky.

United States
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lalibela > Yemrehanna Kristos > Mekele

@furettejl

Thanks for your reply. Did you stop anywhere on the way from Lalibela to Mekele? If it's indeed such a long drive (11.5 hours), I might need to reconsider my plans! May I know how much this private taxi/minivan cost you?

Edited: 17 October 2017, 00:08
Saint-Jorioz, France
Level Contributor
59 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lalibela > Yemrehanna Kristos > Mekele

Bonjour, the only stop (45 minutes) was in Weldiya, a medium sized town, where we had a meal. In fact this part of the road Weldiya Lalibela was 4 hours drive, asphalt plus dirt road. In fact, If I took mainly buses to travel (Sky or Salam buses), in Mekele, they told me ,it would take one day and a half to go to Lalibela, with an hotel night in Weldiya, because buses could not drive at night .......and I paid 100€ to get to Lalibela from Mekele in one day on a private minibus. I found this drive at The Moringa hotel , a second class place where I slept one night. The driver had small business to do in Lalibela. One of its friends got along. Lalibela don't forget is a singular, perched mountain town (between 2600 and 2800 meters high), the setting is amazing, glorious, not easy getting there and away.

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lalibela > Yemrehanna Kristos > Mekele

Hi,

I think it not possible, to visit the north parts of the churches, Yimrhane and drive to Mekelle. The drive only will take about 8 hours. you will drive via Sokota, and that road is under contraction.

My advise: finish visiting the 11 Churches on Saturday and on Sun day, you visit Yimhane and drive to Mekelle. make sure you have 4x4 jeep the road not possible with van.

Saint-Jorioz, France
Level Contributor
59 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lalibela > Yemrehanna Kristos > Mekele

I read post 5. I thought about its advice. All the 11 churches on Saturday. I went to yemrehanna and back from Lalibela. 2 hours. I remenber this 1h drive to go there. It is on the right direction. I think if you start early with a 4x4 jeep, you can go there and drive to Mekele on a single day, but the road is rock and roll.

Reply to: Lalibela > Yemrehanna Kristos > Mekele
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted