We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lalibela Planning

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lalibela Planning

Hello! We will be in Lalibela for 4 nights over Gena, arriving on January 6th and departing on January 10th.

Our general plan is this:

Jan 6 (Sat) - Visit the market

Jan 7 (Sun) - Enjoying the celebrations

Jan 8 (Mon) - Visit the churches and sites (we are hoping it will be less crowded - but are not so optimistic!)

Jan 9 (Tue) - Hike and stay at Lalibela Hudad

Does this sound like a good plan or should we skip Hudad in order to spend more time in Lalibela? Our flight leaves at 9:45 on Jan 10th so if we stay at Hudad, I understand we would need to leave around 6am to start our hike out, which is before sunrise. We would really like to stay there but are not sure that such a short time spent would be worth it.

Will the churches and sites still be completely packed the day after Gena? Or can we expect them to be a little calmer?

Also, will the Saturday market still happen even though it will be Christmas Eve?

We welcome any thoughts/suggestions! Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lalibela Planning

Not expert on current Lalibela, was last there 2003!

But Hudad has high reputation.

In terms of crowds just judge it on the day and use common sense.

Your plan seems absolutely fine.

2. Re: Lalibela Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2017, 14:38

England, United...
Level Contributor
11,873 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lalibela Planning

Getatchew2014 in post #2

I'm sure you know that TA doesn't permit you to solicit for, advertise for , or self-promote, the company you own.

Just to be sure, I've asked TA to take a look.

Edited: 30 July 2017, 17:26
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lalibela Planning

It is a nice plan , one more tip--Accommodations during Gena and Timket are too busy i advise you to secure your booking in advance, if you didn't yet.

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lalibela Planning

You need to know that the hotels will at least triple their prices for at east 2 or 3 days before and after Gena.

United States
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lalibela Planning

"Jan 7 (Sun) - Enjoying the celebrations"

May I know what celebrations are happening on this day? Appreciate any information about local events as well. I'll be there in the last week of December. I know Saturday is the market day in Lalibela. So I'll probably be there on a Saturday and Sunday.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lalibela Planning

January 7th will be Genna (Ethiopian Christmas Day)

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lalibela Planning

Think you might be advised to get hold of Bradt Guide to Ethiopia 7th edition to help your planning.

Saint-Jorioz, France
Level Contributor
57 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lalibela Planning

As an information, I went to Lalibela a week in February 2017, not for Gena or Timket, where as an indépendant traveller, .I found for a great price bargain a new good cheap good standing hotel, The Honey Land. You won't regret it, it was a smooth peace Harbour in my 5 weeks solo journey in north Ethiopia. The amazing churches entrance pass is 50 $. You have to show your passport and can come as many times you want during your four days there with your pass.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lalibela Planning

January 6th attend the Christmas Eve ceremony to be held at Bete Mariam church. This evening, you will attend the Ethiopian Christmas Eve Ceremony with the pilgrims. The dancing by the deacons and the priests continue throughout the night and around while the pilgrims clap and ululate to the drum beat. At mid night, there will be a candle light ceremony to commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ.

Reply to: Lalibela Planning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted