We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
14 posts
417 reviews
Save Topic
Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016

European and local medical professionals deem the quality of tap water in Bahir Dar as sufficiently treated with fluorides to be safe to drink. The plentiful supply of bottled spring water in hotels and public places like lecture halls and rooms in the University suggests the locals are wary of drinking the water.

Vegetarian visitors who, for one reason or another, cannot eat spicy food are faced with a dietary dilemma in Bahir Dar. Many of the local cooked dishes contain either berbere spice or ferocious green chilli peppers. Salads of local produce - avocados, mangos, papaya, lettuce and tomatoes, from which the inevitable green chilli peppers are easily removed are about the only alternative. Omelettes are very popular option in the hotels at breakfast. Bear in mind the local doctor who diagnosed the incident of salmonella food-poisoning was certain not only that eggs was the source but that salmonella is quite widespread among the chicken population.

The salads washed in local tap water are safe. Egg dishes are distinctly unsafe and should be avoided.

Lake Shore Restaurant
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Ethiopian, African
Desset Lodge
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Ethiopian, African
Wude Coffee
₹, Ethiopian, Cafe
8 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016

Am often in Bahir Dar at various hotels. Always have eggs for breakfast. Still alive last time i looked.

Possibly have cast iron stomach from 18 years in zis wonderful country!!

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016

Just returned from Bahir Dar and no issues here. Ate at hotels and local restaurants. I am also vegetarian and ate quite well ( I eat eggs too).

Europe
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016

Not recommended to eat any salads in the country unless you have washed them yourself (!) in water with G Melaten disinfectant added to it, the product is easily found in Ethiopia at small grocery shops.

The eggs are just fine, although not of the quality you would get elsewhere, but generally perfectly safe unless you get very unlucky.

Do not even brush your teeth with the tap water in the country.

The levels of hygine are very bad overall, and most visitors will get a some sort of food poisoning at some point of their trip no matter how cautious they would be.

Mentioned in this post
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016

Sorry i have been brushing my teeth with Addis tap water and drinking it for 16 years. Its better than the water in Bristol UK which smells horrible.

Why do you assume those preparing salads here are unclean? Last Sunday i shared a massive salad in a humble juice bar and was fine.

The only food poisoning i have had recently was in Thailand.

True that many newcomers and visitors get upset tummies, usually after eating at the Addis Hilton.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016

How can you say eggs are not of the quality you get elsewhere?? Eggs in UK supermarkets are big, bland and tasteless...like the bananas in UK.

Small Ethiopian eggs are organic and taste like eggs!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016

Enkulal tibbs. Bit of red onion, bit of green chilli, great.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016

You nailed it 👍👏👍👍👍👍👍

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Salmonella food poisoning in Bahir Dar, May 2016