We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Lalibela to Bahir Dar

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Lalibela to Bahir Dar

Hi - I'm planning an Addis Ababa - Lalibela - Bahir Dar - Addis Ababa trip and am hoping to do the Lalibela-Bahir Dar bit by road. Does anyone know how long this would take, if the road is good and if there is a bus connection or if I can hire a 4WD + driver?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Lalibela to Bahir Dar

I believe most is tarmac, except last 40 or 50 km into Lal. You can bus it changing at Gashena. See Bradt Guide 6th edition page 313 etc. Or yes u can hire vehicle. 4wd not strictly necessary but faster and more comfortable than minibus.

Have also sent you a message.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Lalibela to Bahir Dar

System wont let me send a message.

If you want possible vehicle hire contacts in Addis e mail me on

beklobeit@gmail.com

Assume as an Addis resident you know about Salem Bus as possible way back from BD??

3. Re: Drive from Lalibela to Bahir Dar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 19:07

New Delhi, India
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Lalibela to Bahir Dar

Hi, I'm planning to drive/bus from Lalibela to BahirDar (on Sat 11th Apr). There does not seem to be any direct bus route, but from what I gather the road surface especially along a route termed as the "china road" is good, and the route very scenic.

I'll be travelling solo, so will mostly end up taking the bus (to keep expenses in check) unless I can patch together enough co-passengers to split the costs of a private vehicle.

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Lalibela to Bahir Dar

Thanks for all your replies. We'll be travelling on April 21st, but I hope you find co - passengers Adisag!

I think we'll try and negotiate a private vehicle once we get to Lalibela, or take a minivan instead. Thanks for your help!

Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Lalibela to Bahir Dar

320 kms

Reply to: Drive from Lalibela to Bahir Dar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bahir Dar