We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
271 posts
6 reviews
Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

Hello,

Is it safe to buy tickets online with Primera Plus? I would like to buy them one month ahead to secure our seats (five of us will be travelling).

Also, does anyone know if a student card from Canada would be accepted for the bus student rates?? What about teacher card?

Thanks!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

Personally I wouldn't buy bus tickets online because I've heard so many horror stories about lost reservations etc. In fact after my last telephone booking went wrong (and we were thrown off the bus!) I will now only buy tickets in person! 95% of Mexican bus tickets are bought within 15 minutes of boarding and the only time I would even consider pre-booking is at a holiday time. Where exactly are you busing to? For Mexico City there are buses every 15 minutes (and that's just on Primera Plus). Remember also that in practice the websites only show a fraction of their actual routes and departures. If you will be in Querétaro at least one day before using the bus then you could simply buy tickets the day before.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

Oh, and I doubt if a foreign student or teachers card will get you far in Mexico. I know some U.S. student cards are accepted at some museums but I don't think on the buses. They will have no idea what a Canadian student card looks like! Even Mexican students can only get discounts in holiday times and there is also a limit on the number of discount seats on each bus. The Seniors discounts certainly only apply to Mexican residents.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
271 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

Dear SteveMex,

Thank you so much for your advice! I have to admit that I put my post on this site, hoping you would reply!!

The thing is that we ARE travelling during the busy holiday season AND there are five of us... The trip I am particularly "worried" about is:

Puerto Vallarta to Leon on Dec. 23rd (and we want to leave at a particular time!).

Are you saying that if we buy our tickets online, we could loose all our money?? I also do not want to chance that.....

What to do??!

Thanks for your advice!!!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

I have heard people on these forums and others say that they have had difficulty purchasing bus tickets online and, yes, some have lost money. Of course I am sure many have done so successfully without hassle. Personally I rarely plan anything more than 24 hours in advance anyway :))

Your journey shouldn't be busy because there are 3 departures a day and most people head TO the beach for Christmas not away from it. But I understand your concern so I think you should be OK if you book it online. Maybe confirm when you are in PV (they have a ticket office in Walmart I think) just in case.

As you probably know, tickets can't be bought more than 30 days in advance. Good luck!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
271 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

Muchas gracias Steve!

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
129 reviews
6. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

I have never booked Primera Plus online, but I do so frequently with ETN and have never had a problem. Be sure to make a note of your NIP number when you make the reservation as you'll need it when you collect your tickets and IIRC you won't get a separate email confirming your reservation.

Discounts are only available to mexican residents with the appropriate documentation.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
271 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

We wanted to book with ETN, but unfortunately they do not have a direct bus from Puerto Vallarta to Leon - we would have to get off in Guadalajara in the middle of the night with likely sleeping children, take the luggage out, and wait for about an hour for the bus to Leon...

Thanks for the tips Londinense!!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

I never had a single problem buying PP bus tickets online in 6.5 + years.

That said, there are only 2 INSEN/INAPAM seats per departure so I buy early to get the 50% discount when I know my necessary departure times.

I do not think they accept non MXN student nor teacher creds for discounts.

M

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

Pretty crazy, but check out the 04:30 departure from Qro. to MEX on 3 Dec.

The bus is nearly full!

M

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
271 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Buying bus tickets online & foreign student cards accepted?

Thanks Mikemo!

Can you tell me if there is anything that I need to watch out for when buying the tickets online? Is there a confirmation email sent to me from PP after the online purchase??

Gracias!