We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Luangwa - Delia Camp

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
North Luangwa - Delia Camp

We spent 10 days in South and North Luangwa in September 2010. We booked a trip via Delia camp which proposed and organized a circuit in South Luangwa and North Luangwa (details on delia website). That circuit looked very attractive and was not too expensive. We had a great time in South Luangwa at track and trail in terms of game, accommodation and food. We also enjoyed the night we spent in Luambe at Luangwa wilderness lodge. We expected the same standard at Delia Camp. But we were very disappointed by this lodge and it is an understatement. We were also disappointed by the organization of that circuit (or i should say the lack of organization). I had the worst transfer i have ever had in Africa. We spent more than 9 hours in a dodgy car, without eating, with a driver who did not speak English and who had no idea where to drop us at the destination. At one stage, i even had to speak with a staff member of delia over the phone to find the "meeting point" in Mpika. At the end, instead of going to Delia camp on the first day and spending our first night there, they made us stay in a dodgy motel room in Mpika. The manager of Delia told us that we would be reimbursed for the night we did not spend at Delia but so far, he has not replied to the 2 e-mails i sent him almost 1 month ago. Anyway i did not expect to get anything back.

We had the impression that nobody was in charge of Delia camp. They also seem to lack of everything (food, material, tools...). Maybe it was due to the fact that the spanish owner was not there when we stayed at Delia. The deck is falling apart (you have to be careful where you walk), broken stuffs are not fixed. In our lodge, for instance one of the chair was broken and was never replaced, the shower was blocked during our whole stay, the tap was leaking, the mosquitoes nets were dirty, the linen look suspicious. The food was very basic, it was more like army food. It was a relief after 5 days to eat at Luangwa wilderness lodge and at track and trail.

We were also surprised that the manager of Delia camp had booked us in a tent a Track and Trail whereas we asked specifically a lodge at T&T before the trip and the other spanish customers were staying in lodges which are nicer and more expensive than the tents. (It is also worth to mention that during our stay at track and trail, all the lodges were not occupied). Maybe you get a better treatment if you are Spanish since it seems that the big market for Delia camp is Spain.

According to the offer on Delia's website, it was supposed to be 4 nights in South Luangwa at track and trails, 1 night in Luambe at Luangwa Wilderness Lodge and 4 nights in North Luangwa at Delia. However when I booked, it had become 3 nights at Track and Trail, 1 night at Luambe and 5 nights at Delia Camp. The owner of Delia told me that North Luangwa and Delia Camp were much better than South Luangwa and track and trail. Well I have to disagree with that point. Delia camp and track and trail do not share the same standards. North Luangwa is a beautiful and very remote place but in terms of game and viewings, 3/4 days would have been sufficent. It might be nice to stay longer but in that case, you should go to other places in North Luangwa rather than staying all the time in the area of the camp.

I have to say that everything was not negative, the location of Delia Camp is beautiful, you have a beautiful view of the Luangwa river. North Luangwa is a very remote place. The staff is very friendly, the safari guide was very good and we had some good viewings. Delia has some pros but also unfortunately many cons. I hope people will visit North Luangwa but i would not recommend Delia Camp to any friend. Other camp or self drive seem to me a better choice.

1. Re: North Luangwa - Delia Camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about North Luangwa National...