We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

We will be visiting Zambia for a few days before traveling on to Tanzania. We were planning for a trip in June, but now, it looks like it will be in mid-February. I know that the tent camps are closed and it's the rainy season. Would you suggest it's worth the trip to go this time of year? We were planning to stay three nights in Mukambi Safari Lodge. I have an email out to them as well, but it's in their best interest to day it's a good time to go. Thanks for your opinion.

10 replies to this topic
West Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

I replied in your other thread thus:

"Mid Feb is the height of the rainy season. Much of the Kafue National Park will be inaccessible due to floods and mud. Also the wildlife will be far more dispersed as the animals would no longer need to congregate near permanent water sources (such as the Kafue River or its tributaries). Busanga plains will be totally inaccessible.

I would not recommend it. But contact Mukambi and see if they are still open in Feb and whether there are all weather roads in their area of the National Park? But even if there are roads, game viewing will be difficult.

That said, if you are interested in birds, the wet season is the best time for them... as long as you can get around without being bogged in mud. Mukambi probably do a lot more boat safaris at this time of year if they are open."

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

Thanks, I was afraid that that the timing is not good. Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see what the lodge says about being there in February.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

You could ask at Leopard Lodge which is also in Kafue, but right on the river, they do a lot of boat cruises and canoeing - not sure if they are open or not, their website is www.leopard-lodge.com - e-mail info@leopard-lodge.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

Thanks for the tip about Leopard Lodge. They are closed January and February 2012, open in March.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

Pity - it's a really stunning place

Columbia Falls...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

I am in Kafue now and I would not come in Feb,you won't see any game, and roads will be a challenge.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

Would anyone recommend Kafue in May? I am with a group who will be building houses in Lusaka, and we were looking for R & R options. We were looking at South Luangwa, unfortunately flights are already booked on the days when we need them. Is Kafue and viable option?

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

Look at the recent pics on our Mukambi Facebook Page: stunning wet-season views; you'll love it

Edited: 08 March 2012, 18:16
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

This season for the first time the Shishamba Loop is upgraded to all weather. And big game is very active hunting. Look at the recent pics on our Mukambi Facebook Page. Really, you'ld be amazed about the charm of the wet season..

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?

This year, for the first time, we've upgraded the Shishamba loop to all weather, so we can get you quite deep into the Parc. And you'll be surprised about the charm of the wet season overhere. Very active big game, amazing shaes of green, thrilling - but short - thgunderstorms over the Kafue River. Wet Seasons definitely has its own charms, and our hospitality and warm welcome goes all year round..

Reply to: Kafue worthwhile in mid-February?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kafue National Park