We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Topic
What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

I'm looking for some fun (and inexpensive) ways to get the essence of a Hamptons vacation in just one afternoon.

Any interesting places to people watch or window shop? A good place (pretty beach or harbor) where I can sit and eat a picnic lunch?

Thanks so much!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,635 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

Yikes. I don't know where your starting point is, but I assume you realize it's quite a bit out of the way to go to East Hampton. I assume you know about the Shelter Island ferries?

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

dont forget to feed the ducks. There is a pond on rte 27 that has swans, maybe a few babies and assorted ducks. Also a pond on davids lane. Good places to eat lunch and Davids lane has a few nature trails.

Laurelton
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

I'm considering a weekday trip on the LIRR. Is the beach in walking distance and what siteseeing/ resturants if any?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,635 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

The beach is not in walking distance but there's a free minibus service now.

hamptonsfreeride.com/free-rides-to-east-hamp…

Loads of restaurants along Newton Lane which crosses the railroad tracks including a good take out place that I mention earlier in this thread that's across from the train station called Italian Specialties. Babettes is a sit down place in walking distance of the train.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,635 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

Btw, the train doesn't run all that frequently so not sure if the hrs. will work for you for a daytrip. The

Hamptonjitney.com

runs almost every hour and does have a stop in Queens called their Queens airport connection if that's an option for you. Eastbound, it stops in front of a Hooters next to a multiplex movie theater. I think it's considered Fresh Meadows. The stops in both directions are on the service road of the LIE.

16. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2011, 23:01
17. Re: What to do in the Hamptons with just one afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 15:00
Get answers to your questions about East Hampton