We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Planning

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Planning

My husband and I are planning an anniversary getaway on a weekend in August. Trying to decipher the best things to do. Have never tried a bed and breakfast before but I am noticing many great reviews on the Canandaigua bed and breakfasts. Recommendations on the best one and if we are a private couple is a bed and breakfast going to be "too close for comfort"? What are things to add to our plans while staying in Canandaigua. We definitely want to do a wine trail and many seem to like the Wine & Culinary Institute. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Canandaigua
Canandaigua
Finger Lakes, NY
Bed and breakfasts in Canandaigua
The Chalet of Canandaigua
The Chalet of Canandaigua
#1 of 15 B&Bs / Inns in Canandaigua
1840 Inn on the Main Bed and Breakfast
1840 Inn on the Main Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 15 B&Bs / Inns in Canandaigua
Bella Rose Bed and Breakfast
Bella Rose Bed and Breakfast
#3 of 15 B&Bs / Inns in Canandaigua
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Planning

Hello lovely.. you don't say when exactly in August you are coming but here is a link for a wonderful annual event.

http://www.artsatthegardens.org/aboutus.php

Other things to do besides the culinary center pending good weather is a boat ride on the steamboat Canandaigua Lady for lunch or dinner or just a cruise down the lake to see some beautiful homes.

www.steamboatlandingonline.com/index.php…

Can't help you with the B&B but most are on Main street in the heart of town which will give you the best flavor of the town and historic homes on side streets off main.

I would ask directly to the B&B you are looking into as to privacy, noise level , etc. or put the name of the B&B into a google search or on this forum for reviews.

I have lived here for over 25 years and have not stayed in any of them but I drive by a few of them weekly. You may want to maybe rent a cottage instead for the weekend .

There are many on the East Lake side whereas mostly big private homes on the West Lake side.

Just a nice walk down to the north end of the lake onto Kershaw park , walking to Muar house for home made gelato and then going on a cruise on the Canandaigua Lady can take up most of your day. You can call a taxi or get on our CATS bus to get back from the Steamboat Landing. www.steamboatlandingonline.com/index.php…

Let me know if this helps. IB

Mentioned in this post
Canandaigua
Canandaigua
Finger Lakes, NY
Kershaw Park
Kershaw Park
130 Reviews
Canandaigua, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Planning

If you haven't tried a B&B, you really should. You will be amazed at how unintrusive and private your experience will be. It's not like staying in your grandmother's house -- that is for sure!

Most places are filling up fast in Canandaigua for the summer. I would act quickly and use www.bandbfingerlakes.com to see most of them in the area, how different they are, and their availability. Once you go B&B, you will never want a hotel experience for a getaway again.....

Mentioned in this post
Canandaigua
Canandaigua
Finger Lakes, NY
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Planning

I think it depends on the B and B. personally and generally I find that slightly larger B & Bs can be less claustrophobic as they act more like an Inn. Here in Canandaigua, check out "The Quiet Place" for extreme privacy, also look into The Chalet or the Morgan Samuels Inn. I had guests recently that loved the Inn on Main as well. Red Door Inn is also a new place to stay and they have some culinary programs, too. I'd recommend taking a class in the Hands on Kitchen at the NY Wine and Culinary Center for a romantic, fun and different date. Also, consider renting a kayak or sailboard from Cdga Sailboarding near Kershaw park.

A great wine trail to follow would be on the western side of Seneca Lake - try out Fox Run, Herrmann Wiemer, Miles, etc. Can combine with the east side of Keuka, too with McGregor's. Ravines and Rooster Hill Wineries. In Canandaigua, Sonnenberg gardens is very romantic, as is a carriage ride at the Granger Homestead. have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Canandaigua
Canandaigua
Finger Lakes, NY
Morgan Samuels Inn
Morgan Samuels Inn
246 Reviews
Canandaigua, NY
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Kershaw Park
Kershaw Park
130 Reviews
Canandaigua, NY
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,809 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Planning

Sonnenburg Gardens is a worth a visit.

5. Re: Help with Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2018, 06:45
Get answers to your questions about Canandaigua