We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

new jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

i have never been to either, and want to know which has more to offer/better visit overall? my husband and I are 35 and our celebrating our 5 yr anniversary. we want to stay in a b&b and do wine tastings. looking for fun and good food. beautiful scenery. any suggestions?????? thx!

15 replies to this topic
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
11. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

by the way - stay away from Crow's Nest restaurant in Geneva. It's a lovely setting but the service is TERRIBLE.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
12. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

I think it's important not to succumb to the bias of some of these parochial posts. Canandaigua really has nothing over Geneva at this point -- but I'm referring to the current decade of course. I prefer Geneva. It's 'cuter' by any measurement, and is a grid, not a straight line. Lots of good restaurants as well. Seneca lake, of course, is not as cute as Canandaigua, because it is huge -- 3 miles across and around 700 feet deep in some spots. The actual perception of which one is more attractive, or cute, is entirely personal. In order to get to the beauty of Canandaigua Lake , you have to head south, about 3 or 4 miles, from the city itself...otherwise it's just flat blah blah. The southern end is the real beauty, perhaps more interesting than any of the lakes.

KAM
New York
Level Contributor
177 posts
41 reviews
13. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

For an anniversary I would stay at Steamboat Castle on Keuka Lake. B & B's are rarely right on the lake and this one is. Great patio overlooking the water - great water views. A great lake to swim in. They offer kayaks. Many great wineries and breweries nearby (eg best tour on the lake is Bully Hill - but tours have now stopped for the season, best wine on the lake is Dr Frank. June - Oct Dr Frank has a food & wine experience you can reserve ahead) This spot is also very close to many great wineries & breweries on Seneca Lake (Wiemer, Fox Run, Glenora, Climbing Bines etc) So in the season I would definitely stay here. If you are coming off season you might want to consider Keuka or Canandaigua (nice town, good activities, but not much to offer re wines though)

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
208 reviews
14. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

Original post is from 2011 ...

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
85 posts
15. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

In my opinion, The Canandaigua Lake area is the place to be! Granted, Seneca Lake has more wineries than any of the other Finger Lakes, But Canandaigua (at the North end of the lake, and Naples, at the South end of the lake) have wineries...and a whole lot more! Shops, Antique Stores, Restaurants, Museums, Art Galleries, Wine & Culinary Center, Micro Breweries, Waterfalls, Hiking, All the lake activities, Zip Lining, Wakeboard Park & MORE! Plus, if you wanted to go to the Seneca Lake Wine Trail...it's 25 minutes East of Canandaigua. Willow suggested Inn on The Lake in Canandaigua...but, it is closed, and will be till 2020 for major remodeling. I would suggest The Quiet Place for accommodations. http://thequietplace.com/ They have a number of properties scattered around the Canandaigua Lake area. They are single family homes...each with acres of privacy. My wife & I have stayed at a number of their properties over the years. All have been beautiful...and, quiet! Here is a link to their web site... http://thequietplace.com/ and, their "Finger Lakes Attractions" page has a very comprehensive listing of all the various activities and points of interest in the area.

Reply to: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canandaigua