We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

finger lakes, ny

MI
Level Contributor
93 posts
150 reviews
finger lakes, ny

I've read past reviews on the area and was wondering if things have changed. We're planning a trip in October and would like to stay in a B&B, if it wasn't too costly. Lodging ideas and places to eat would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: finger lakes, ny

You can also check reviews for B&B's in the area by entering "Canandaigua Bed and Breakfasts" in the search line. Or, visit www.bandbfingerlakes.com. There are many nice B&B's in the area as well as many good restaurants. Some B&B's are within walking distance to the restaurants as well as attractions. Some personal restaurant favorites are: Eric's Office, Casa de Pasta, Max on the Lake. We also have a very good Mexican restaurant, as well as a very good German restaurant. So much to do and see -- definitely worth the trip.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
208 reviews
2. Re: finger lakes, ny

Are you interested only in Canandaigua or in other areas as well?

As far as things changing ... the natural beauty never changes. The lake shoreline in Canandaigua has been really developed in recent years. That may be good or bad depending on your attitude about such things. The NY Wine and Culinary Center is a fairly new addition to the area. I haven't visited yet but have heard good things ...

www.nywcc.com

MI
Level Contributor
93 posts
150 reviews
3. Re: finger lakes, ny

I've been checking out the state parks, but don't know how close to each other they are or are they really similar and you don't need to go to all of them?

Watkins Glen

Stony Brook

Filmore Glen

Taughannock Falls

Buttermilk Falls

Letchworth

The B&B's seem to be out of our price range...do you know of any motels that would be centrally located to the state parks?

I appreciate any info you can give.

Thank you.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
208 reviews
4. Re: finger lakes, ny

The state parks you have listed are all wonderful and unique. Taughannock Falls and Buttermilk Falls (Ithaca) are both near each other (approx. 10 miles apart). Another state park in Ithaca (my favorite of the three) is Robert Treman; it is only a couple of miles down the road from Buttermilk.

Watkins Glen is approximately 25 miles from Buttermilk and Treman (heading west).

Filmore Glan is approx. 25 miles from Ithaca (heading north).

Stony Brook and Letchworth (west) are a quick 20 miles apart; Stony Brook is 55 miles from Watkins Glen.

If you want to base yourself near Stony Brook/Letchworth, check out the villages of Dansville, Mt Morris or Geneseo for lodging.

If you want to base yourself near Filmore, check out Auburn. Auburn is 37 miles from Ithaca so you could easily visit those parks.

I assume you've checked out Ithaca.

If you want to base yourself near Watkins Glen, thw village of Watkins Glen, Geneva, Corning or perhaps Penn Tan are options.

If I had to choose among those listed, I would select Letchworth or the parks in Ithaca as my first choices although none will disappoint; especially in October.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
208 reviews
5. Re: finger lakes, ny

"Penn Tan" in my last post should be "Penn Yan".

6. Re: finger lakes, ny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2010, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Canandaigua