We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moremi or Okavango?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Moremi or Okavango?

A party of four senior adults (60 yrs) wants to experience wildlife in June 2019.

Should we concentrate our research around flying in to the Okavango or Moremi Game Reserve.

Pricing in "the delta" can be very high so maybe Moremi is more affordable.

I can't quote a budget as yet but "just want to do it right for the first and only time"

Perhaps suggestions could be made of ethical tour companies based in Botswana. i have red other Okavango Posts and noted some of these already

Thanks for your advice.

16 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

Local tour operators are a good start and a lot who post here can vouch for them based on personal experiences, myself included.Are you up for a mobile safari, its fully catered , a tailored itinerary or wanting lodges mid range? W/o any rough guidelines especially re pricing a bit hard to be specific. But Botswana isn't out of the price range,particularly in June.More details can help us help you.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
2. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

Moremi is part of the Okavango delta, so your question doesn't entirely make sense.

Or are you asking about Moremi Game Reserve vs one of the private concessions? If you are looking at fly in fixed camps, then there is not necessarily going to be a vast difference in price between some fly in camps in private concessions and one in Moremi Game Reserve. There is a lot of variation in price between the various private concessions, so of course some are a lot more expensive, but not all. If you start considering mobile options, that's where you might save more substantial amounts of money.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

Mobile safaris seem to be the way to save some $$$.

I noted some post suggesting local operators.

Thanks for your advice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

But is Moremi Game Reserve pitched at a lower budget than Okavango?

I've seen figures of up to $4k pppn in Okavango which is way beyond what we are prepared to pay.

Like most travellers we want the best wildlife experiences within a reasonable budget.

As yet "reasonable" is not defined.

We are trying to work out preferred location - then we will consider budget.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

The Okavango Delta is divided into concessions which have been granted by lease and are managed by safari outfitters. A concession is a designated private area either within a national park or just outside it. The national parks are government owned and managed.You can choose to stay in the private areas or choose national parks to self drive and camp or choose a guided mobile safari.

https:/…

The links may help you to see the options.

https:/…

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
6. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

"But is Moremi Game Reserve pitched at a lower budget than Okavango?"

Again, Moremi IS the Okavango, but if you are comparing Moremi vs private concessions, there are lots of private concessions, varying in price massively. Moremi actually has only a few permanent camps- Camp Moremi, Okuti and Xakanaka, and they all look to be around $750pppn in June. If you compare Moremi with the top end private concessions, there is a big difference, but between the lower end, not so much.

"I've seen figures of up to $4k pppn in Okavango which is way beyond what we are prepared to pay."

Yes, but there are dozens of private concession camps and they are not all at that level, only the absolute top end. There are several well established camps around the $1000 mark, and there are options for less- there are a whole bunch of new camps that have sprung up in the last couple of years that I'm not that familiar with but I'm sure an agent will be able to explain the options.

Personally, I think if you're going to pay $750ppn, I'd rather stay in a private concession even if it means paying a bit more (although as I said, there are quite a few new camps that might be in this ballpark). If I was going to stay in Moremi, I'd rather go with a mobile and pay less than the permanent camps.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
7. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

Hi Howard.

Aas Stokeygirl suggets, the Moremi Game Reserve is actually part of the Okavango, sitting in the central region... but we do regard Moremi as a different region here for one reason.

The Okavango is made up of many private concession with private lodges where they can travel off load and conduct nights drives etc... these are regarded as the best areas for travelling to if you want a full lodge experience.

Moremi, even though it sits in the middle of the Okavango, as a Game Reserve and is a National Park and therefore has different rules in that the lodges cannot go off road nor conduct night drives, so the experience is a little different. Moremi Game Reserve is also not private, its pubic in that there are a few lodges plus mobile safaris and self drivers, so you will see more vehicle and I guess its not as "exclusive" as the other private concessions in the Okavango.

In Moremi, generally speaking its a little lower in price as you can get lodges which are bit less expensive plus you can get to more affordable Mobile safaris... In Moremi there are actually 3 private lodges with their own private areas, Mombo and Chiefs which are top and price, and Xigera... however you could easily just view there as private concessions regardless of their positioning.

So I am guessing that best way to classify Moremi to you is to look at the lodges etc who make use of the PUBLIC game drive areas and this includes lodges like Camp Moremi and Okuti etc... or, as has been suggested, look to Moremi for a mobile safari.

All other lodges in the Okavango area will be private and mostly at a higher price... definitely a more exclusive experience. June is a good time to come though as it takes advantage of a great wildlife period plus some lodges keep their prices lower before the July increase...

Here is an example of two great lodges, both in the environs of the Okavango.

Camp Moremi, INSIDE the Moremi Game Reserve ... retail USD749 per person per night

Splash Camp, BORDERING the Moremi Game Reserve... USD945 per person per night

Camp Moremi will be bound by national park rules and therefore you will see a few other vehicles around etc, and you will not be able to travel off-road to follow lions etc.

Splash Camp, is in a similar type of area but as its outside the National park and is in a huge private area, with no other vehicles and you can follow lions anywhere off road...

In my opinion a camp like Splash camp will generally give you a better experience and is in a better area.

You really do not have to spend anywhere near USD4kpppn.

Hope this makes sense

Roger

Owner of safari Lifestyles

Proudly Local

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
8. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

Splash was definitely one of the ones I was thinking of when I mentioned those around the $1000 mark.

I've been to the Splash area a few times (the camp itself is brand new, replacing old Kwara) and I've been to Moremi and for sure I'd pay the extra for Splash.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

Thanks for your suggestions stokeygirl.

Now for some internet trawling for info on Splash Camp.

Howard

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Moremi or Okavango?

Roger,

I have read several of your posts and wish to say "Thank you" for the time and effort you put into answering forum questions from those of us who really do not have much idea of the area.

Internet trawling can't replace first hand experience.

I''ll now go away and look up the camps you have mentioned.

Howard

Reply to: Moremi or Okavango?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Okavango Delta