We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp access by 4x4

Toms River, NJ
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Camp access by 4x4

Are any of the camps near/in Moremi or other areas accessible via 4x4 transfer from Maun or only light aircraft?

5 replies to this topic
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
1. Re: Camp access by 4x4

You'd have to be more specific about which camps. All camps will have some sort of road access, as that's how they get supplies in and out. Whether it's practical to get a road transfer in/out will depend on the exact location- for some camps the road access might take 8-10 hours of driving. If you looked at a camp in the central part of Moremi such as Camp Moremi, for example, then I think you could drive there in about 4 hours. The question for me is why you would want to? It would be a lot less convenient and would probably not be any cheaper than flying.

Or is this an issue with fear of small planes? If so, I'd consider a mobile safari.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Camp access by 4x4

All are 4 WD accessible from Maun mostly but wet season not so but many fly in as well.What camps are you wanting ? You can self- drive also. Details would help as the ? is very general.

Toms River, NJ
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Camp access by 4x4

Thanks. We’re taking my parents for the anniversary and my mother will not fly on a small plane - which limits what we can see. I was hoping to visit one of the lodges on the Moremi Game Reserve, haven’t decided yet as most only list flying as an option. Was wondering which ones were within a reasonable driving distance of Maun, as we can fly in there from Jo’burg.

Will look into the mobile safaris as that may be a good idea as well.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Camp access by 4x4

You can fly into Kasane from Joburg as well, Less busy as vs Maun but is your mother up to a mobile safari? If not many more options such as Chobe area and lovely lodges there but without specifics... Budget, time of year and interests am guessing .

Botswana
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Camp access by 4x4

Sango Safari Camp in Khwai immediately comes to mind - they do road transfers in + is in an excellent game viewing area and on the lower scale of prices. Then the 3 lodges in Moremi - camp Moremi, Xakanaxa Camp, Camp Okuti....but you would have to arrange a road transfer in to these as these camps do not offer it.

Reply to: Camp access by 4x4
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted