We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leopard Hills

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Leopard Hills

Hi,

Can someone advise me when is the best time to visit Leopard Hills for good weather and leopard spoting???

Thanks

:0)

5 replies to this topic
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leopard Hills

Good weather would be right now, and for the next few months. And the leopards are pretty much around all the time. Here's a video I made during one morning game drive over the lands where Leopard Hills does game drives. Two different leopards in less than an hour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2JKupNUEQ0 - This was shot in mid-May, by the way.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Leopard Hills

I would go in late September as it starts to get a bit warmer at this time and it should still be dry.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Edited: 20 June 2011, 15:08
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leopard Hills

Leopard viewing at Leopard Hills really is excellent all year round! A possible exception is during the heavy rainy months (December, January)....during these months I have found the leopard viewing not to be as good, as they all seem to hide away in the bush, feasting on baby impalas! From now until mid October should be excellent.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leopard Hills

Echo the other feedback about Timing - any will be good. They are seen virtually daily - indeed one can almost predict it/them. I have never heard of anyone not seeing them.

We, although a while ago now (in April 2008) saw 6/7 in 3 days, so almost one per drive.

Weather - less predictable, but I would commend - June to Nov.

June, July & Aug are or can be very cold at night and first thing in am. Not kidding - nothing for it to be 32C at 13.00, 28 at 17.00 and 6C by 19.00 and 0C by early hours. Ski thermal proved bleep useful when we were there. Days fab - warm , sunny and clear blue !!

Late Aug to Sept and on into Oct & Nov, are warmer by night etc and still warm during the day, and by this time, the drought is cutting in seriously to the Flora, and all water reliant game (pretty much everything). Kills are more likely as Game conditioning falls off.

Late Nov to Feb is most likely time for cooler weather, rains and possibility of severe Thunderstorms - like this year. It is however when lambing or fawning takes place and while the Flora is thicker and green and recovering, this is when the Predators have their young to make most of the plentiful food supply.

Safari'd in SA and Sub-Saharan Africa a lot and love it. Enjoy

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leopard Hills

I went there for 4 nights 5 days August 25th 2010 and I saw leopards every day! Two were drinking out of the plunge pool of the suite next to me. The momma leopard had two cubs that would play hide and seek underneath our stopped jeep. Look at my review and you will see my photos.

End of august was also great because it was winter and leaves don't hide animals and it is cool and pleasant. This place is amazing! Tell Raymond Emily says hello! He has the best tracker to help him and we saw the big 5 on the first day. Very lucky and so humbled. You will not believe the treasures Leopard hills has to offer. Have fun!

Reply to: Leopard Hills
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Leopard Hills Private...