We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cloudcroft in December - Family Trip Advice & Suggestions

Houston, Texas
1 post
Cloudcroft in December - Family Trip Advice & Suggestions

We are taking a family trip to Cloudcroft in the middle of December so that the kids (3,6 & 13) can see and play in the snow. What is the best way/route to get to Cloudcroft from Houston? We rented a cabin and I get a estimated travel time of about 12 hours in google maps, Is a nonstop drive recommended or do you recommend a stopover for a night somewhere - if yes, what hotel and what town might that be?

Will I be fine driving in Cloudcorft in a Front Wheel Drive SUV that has a "snow button" mode? or would I need chains? What other things should I bring in the car to deal with the snow once I get to Cloudcroft? Is there a lot of snow in the middle of December?

Are places like white sands and carlsbad caverns worth a visit with the kids?

What other type of family activities for young kids would be recommended?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :-)

Edited: 21 October 2015, 21:21
4 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Cloudcroft in December - Family Trip Advice & Suggestions

If you are set on your children seeing snow, that might not happen in the Cloudcroft area in mid-December. Will depend totally on weather, maybe how El Niño affects it.

Carlsbad and White Sands are both totally worth a visit.

Raton, New Mexico
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Cloudcroft in December - Family Trip Advice & Suggestions

The main road through Cloudcroft is paved and should be clear soon after any storm for school buses, business traffic, etc. The backcountry roads into the Forest Service lands are not paved and will probably be impassable without 4WD in case of fresh snow.

I can't promise snow though; it's hit or miss that time of year. The mountain peaks will get snow by then, but it might not last long after the storm passes.

White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns are absolutely worth visiting, especially with active adventure-minded kids. The Three Rivers Petroglyph Site is west of Cloudcroft, if you have the time. And if the weather is ~too~ snowy to get into the mountains, Alamagordo is home to large modern space museum (the real stuff, not UFOs, ha-ha). I haven't been but I bet the kids would like it.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
831 reviews
3. Re: Cloudcroft in December - Family Trip Advice & Suggestions

Where did you stay in Cloudcroft and would you recommend it? I'm seeking a place to stay in late May 2016.

Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,464 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: Cloudcroft in December - Family Trip Advice & Suggestions

I suggest you break the drive to Cloudcroft ... at say, Ft. Stockton, where motels & services are reasonable ... As the Most difficult portion of the drive lies ahead ... The highway into New Mexico has been badly torn up by & is infested ... with oil field service trucking ... Then, the last few miles of "mountain" driving with the possibility of large animals on the road... Comes in the dark when the driver is tired ... Happy trails ... carracar

Reply to: Cloudcroft in December - Family Trip Advice & Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cloudcroft
More Cloudcroft Topics