We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did we miss in the Cloudcroft to warrant return?

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
108 reviews
What did we miss in the Cloudcroft to warrant return?

We visited the Cloudcroft area this July. The cooler temp was a nice change from the high desert. A small variety of tree and bush species and some nice flowers on the Rim Trail and Nelson Canyon Lookout trail and an extraordinary number of hummingbirds in town and in the forest. Also, interesting views of the Tularosa Basin and White Sands National Monument. But nothing breathtaking, for sure.

The town was disappointing. Pricey for a middling tourist destination and numbingly slow service in all 4 establishments we visited. Not laid back, more confused.

We had considered camping but glad we didn't: the NFS campsites were way too close together. More like a parking lot with trees.

What did we miss?

4 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,244 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: What did we miss in the Cloudcroft to warrant return?

I have no idea what you missed, seems you didn't like the area. I'd go visit somewhere else next time.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: What did we miss in the Cloudcroft to warrant return?

To an extent, Cloudcroft is more active during the winter and ski season. I'm not sure what it is that you expected.

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: What did we miss in the Cloudcroft to warrant return?

We used to go Cloudcroft in the summer. Have enjoyed a summer baba in the park, a melodrama, a pie auction, and in general the friendliness of the village. Think you might enjoy elsewhere if Cloudcroft wasn't your cup of tea.

When we lived in LC., it was simply to get out of the heat. Try Ruidoso, maybe.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
841 reviews
4. Re: What did we miss in the Cloudcroft to warrant return?

GREYBUTSTILLGOING - Did you visit the Lodge at Cloudcroft? If you did, I would welcome your feedback as I'm trying to decide on a visit, but haven't gotten any GOOD feedback and my phone call to the Lodge resulted in really bad customer service!

Reply to: What did we miss in the Cloudcroft to warrant return?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cloudcroft
More Cloudcroft Topics