We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville - private car / taxi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
40 reviews
Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville - private car / taxi

We have just returned from a trip and before going I searched the forums quite a lot to find out about taking a private car or taxi from Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville, as a more timely alternative to the bus. I didn’t find any commentary from anyone saying they had done it so I thought I would share my experience of this here, in case others are searching for the same info in the future.

We approached a number of companies, from John’s travel to a number of others across the road from that office in town, they all said they couldn’t do it or that the ferry component of the trip was booked.

We on about our 5th try, further up the road, on the main road closer to the turn off to Rory’s bar, we found a place that seemed to easily do it, no issues, and for a cheaper price than most of the others (the ones that said they could do it but the ferry was full). It cost about $150 Aussie I think? Give or take $20, for two people. That included the pick up from our hotel, drop off to ferry, ferry to mainland, transfer at mainland to border, being assisted across the boarder by someone managing the process, then a car meeting us on the other side and driving us to Sihanoukville. I think we left the hotel at about 6:30 and arrived in Sihanoukville at 1:30, so a 5 hour trip. I think it was faster because we left early and beat the crowds, as there wasn’t anyone in front of us at immigration and he only traffic encountered was closer to Sihanoukville.

If course the US$23/25 option is a far better deal, but we were only on holidays for 10 days so we’re keen o make the trip as quick and comfortable as possible.

I hope this helps others wanting Loren information on the same :)

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville - private car / taxi

Sorry, a few “autocorrects” not working in my favour there! You get the gist though ☺️

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville - private car / taxi

That actually sounds like a pretty good deal for the ease of it all! Thanks for the post!

copenhagen
3 posts
3. Re: Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville - private car / taxi

Hi

Thanks for the post, this sounds perfect for us, as we are traveling with a 2,5 year old child.

Do you remember, what the company name was?

We also considered doing it our self. Only arrange the early morning ferry ticket and transport to the ferry. Our concern is, if we can catch a taxi in Ha Tien habor, that can drive us the border? And again if we can find a taxi on the other side of border, that will drive us to Otres beach.

Thanks for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville - private car / taxi

I don’t remember the company name sorry, but I’d be surprised if there was more than one or two near where I described, it wasn’t an area that was dense with businesses, just a couple on the side of the road and we only noticed one that was travel. This is up on the main road near the turn off to Rory’s, the majority of the other travel places seemed to be in town near the round about.

Re your concern “if we can catch a taxi in Ha Tien habor, that can drive us the border?”

There seemed to be lots of taxis around so I don’t think you would have trouble getting one but I’d imagine you wouldn’t be in the best position to negotiate in price once you are there with your bags etc - I may be wrong, but we found we always got the highest fares at ports and major bus junctions.

Re your concern “if we can find a taxi on the other side of border, that will drive us to Otres beach.”

That would be a much bigger issue I think. There weren’t taxis there waiting around when we went through, it seemed a very undeveloped area and we were hoping to get breakfast or a bite to eat and there wasn’t really anything, a few very basic roadside huts was about it, which was unexpected for us. If a taxi came along it would be hard to do anything other than accept the price I think.

Also, it helped having someone to walk up through the border crossing and point us in the right direction, it struck me as something that wouldn’t be obvious or straightforward to do on our own.

Ha Tien, Vietnam
Level Contributor
890 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville - private car / taxi

Kammersjuk-I have tried to send you a PM but for some reason cannot.It is relatively easy to arrange a private car from the ferry port in Ha Tien to Sihanoukville IF it is done in advance-I use a local tour guide to do this,and the total cost is 85USD,which includes a taxi from the ferry to the border,assistance in crossing,and then a Cambodian car to your destination.(It's not generally possible to take a Vietnamese car through to Sihanoukville) You arrange your ferry ticket yourself from PQ to Ha Tien

Reply to: Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville - private car / taxi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island