We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Family holiday

Hi There

We are thinking of taking our 3 kids here next year .We live in Ireland.The kids are 12,14 and 16.

It will be their first time in the US .Is there much to do in the area?We would be coming in early July and hope to rent an apartment for a couple of weeks.

Is there anywhere else that may be better to bring them along the Jersey Shore?

Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Myerstown...
Level Contributor
426 posts
400 reviews
1. Re: Family holiday

Your kids may enjoy Wildwood more. Stone Harbor is nice and we love to visit the point. It is more residential in nature. Wildwood has a boardwalk with amusement piers, water parks, shops etc. Be sure to go to the Cape May Zoo. Admission is by donation and close to Stone Harbor and the Wildwoods. Try to visit Cape May for an evening as well.

Jon
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
225 reviews
2. Re: Family holiday

Stone Harbor is considered one of the more posh shore towns. Besides the beach there is a small shopping district with stores, restaurants, and bars. The Wetlands Institute may interest the kids. Stone Harbor is right next to Avalon, which also has its own small shopping district. Avalon also has a very small boardwalk, but there is not much on it. Stone Harbor is an easy drive to Wildwood where you can go to their boardwalk which has amusement rides, water parks etc. The Cape May Zoo is worth visiting as is the town of Cape May. If it were me, I would stay in Stone Harbor and visit the other towns when looking for something else to do.

Myerstown...
Level Contributor
426 posts
400 reviews
3. Re: Family holiday

Those of us that frequent the Jersey Shore have our favorite spots. If you are staying a few weeks, you (meaning the adults) may get tired of the boardwalk at Wildwood. One night there during our stay is enough with me. My son, however, loves to be on the boardwalk at night. If you stay in Wildwood, your kids have more options to entertain themselves on the boardwalk assuming it's within walking distance, while you relax on your balcony.

My son has been out and about on the boardwalk at night (back before midnight) since he was 14/15. It's certainly better if your kids stick together, especially the younger one. They should be aware of their surroundings, etc. I felt comfortable letting my son out alone (OK, he had a cell phone and had to check in every 30 minutes or so when he was younger. Now he is 23, still has a cell, but no longer checks in).

NYC
3 posts
4. Re: Family holiday

Have you considered the East End of Long Island? Wineries and farms and nice towns (Matituck, Greenport) on the North Fork. Oceans and towns (Sag Harbor, Amagansett, East Hampton, Montauk) on the south fork.

5. Re: Family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2018, 21:30

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Family holiday

Thank you all so much for your replies.Definitely plenty to think about.

I am going to have a look at Wildwood as I think that is somewhere that the kids would love.

Had also been thinking about Montauk as I know someone living there.

So much to think about.

Reply to: Family holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stone Harbor