We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jellyfish at beaches

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
jellyfish at beaches

For many years, we vacationed in beautiful Stone Harbor, but after 3 straight years of the kids being unable to swim due to zillions of jellyfish, we stopped going. We'd love to go back, but would like to know if jellyfish have been a continued problem in mid to late August. It's a long ride from Boston to be unable to swim!

We were thinking of a hotel with a pool, just in case. Any feedback on the Lark Hotel would be appreciated. Thanks!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: jellyfish at beaches

I am not sure if there is a season for jellyfish. We generally went to SH mid July and some years there were lots, others minimal. the lark is a modest, clean, comfortable motel. The manager does a good job keeping track of his guests to ensure only guests use the pool etc. The bathrooms are a bit dated, but we had no over all complaints. Read the reviews on this site. I would call asap, as his rooms generally book up.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: jellyfish at beaches

Jellyfish tend to show up when the water gets warmer, and that is typically in August.

I don't care for them, either. Would you consider traveling earlier in the season? You might have better luck.

pennsylvania
3 posts
3. Re: jellyfish at beaches

We were in Stone Harbor the first 2 weeks of July and the water was extremely cold. In the 60's and just into the 70's during the 2 weeks. There were clear jellyfish on the beaches and in the water a couple of days but they're not the stinging kind. We felt they usually came with warm water and were surprised at them being so prevalent.

pennsylvania
3 posts
4. Re: jellyfish at beaches

We were in Stone Harbor the first 2 weeks of July and the water was extremely cold. In the 60's and just into the 70's during the 2 weeks. There were clear jellyfish on the beaches and in the water a couple of days but they're not the stinging kind. We felt they usually came with warm water and were surprised at them being so prevalent.

pennsylvania
3 posts
5. Re: jellyfish at beaches

philadelphia
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
6. Re: jellyfish at beaches

Hi jebu, my husband and i have gone there and had different conditions every day over the course of a week .I think it all depends on the currents.But have u ever looked into the Desert Sand hotel? They have two pools- one indoor so its good even if u have a chilly or rainy day. The only draw back with it is u have to drive to town cuz its too far to walk to 96th st.But it's only a five minute drive and I think the breakfasts are cheeper and better at the Mirage resturant on the premises than Uncle Bills pancake house. And there is the Concord resturant. next door for lunch and dinner that has everything from pizza to seafood.

7. Re: jellyfish at beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 22:48
Get answers to your questions about Stone Harbor