We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging for 4 nights close to beach -Stone Harbor/Avalon

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Lodging for 4 nights close to beach -Stone Harbor/Avalon

Planning a trip for late August with our 3 children ages 8-10. Would like to rent a condo or timeshare, but only wish to spend 4 nights. It appears that most of those accomodations rent for a week, Saturday to Saturday. I came across information about The Beachcomber in Avalon, which appears to offer 4-night stays Mon-Thurs. Does anyone have any recent experience with these condominiums, or other suggestions?

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Lodging for 4 nights close to beach -Stone Harbor/Avalon

I have never stayed in a motel in Avalon. I would recommend reading the reviews on the hotel site. I have had friends stay at the Windrift in Avalon and liked it. It does have a good beach front location, close to Stone Harbor. With three kids, you may want to look into a weekly rental anyway. Sometimes 4 days with a daily motel rate is more expensive than a week in a rental. August is high season and the motel rates climb up there!! Do you definitely want Avalon, or are you open to Stone Harbor as well? I have stayed at the Lark in Stone Harbor, not beach front, not fancy, but clean with a variety or room sizes to choose from. The manager makes an excellent effort to keep rowdiness out. It is close to the center of town to walk to shopping, mini golf, ice cream etc.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Lodging for 4 nights close to beach -Stone Harbor/Avalon

Thanks Yankeemom for your advice. Have decided to rent a townhouse, many choices and much better value. Differences between Stone Harbor and Avalon?

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Lodging for 4 nights close to beach -Stone Harbor/Avalon

Many people say them in the same breath (stone harbor/avalon). They are both on the same barrier island, so beaches/sand/water the same. Avalon probably has more nightlife, more restaurants. Some say Stone Harbor is a bit more upscale tho all families are welcome. There are only a few retaurants with liquor licenses in Stone Harbor, so call ahead. Most allow you to bring your own wine. I know Stone Harbor better as that is where we vacationed as a family my entire childhood. There is a great shopping district that can draw crowds, a movie theater, mini-golf and a movie theater. The home made ice cream at Springers is worth the wait (IMHO).To the southern end of Stone Harbor, there is a nature preserve with bird watching, and the bridge to head down to the Wildwoods or Cape May. Your kids are a good age to try the Wildwood boardwalk one evening, without needing to stay in Wildwood. Regardless of where you stay, venture into the other to see what you think. I will leave it to those more versed in Avalon to recommend specific must sees. I think both are great, and you can't go wrong with either. If you don't get more responses repost with "avalon" in your heading to draw more knowledgeable posters.

Get answers to your questions about Stone Harbor