We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

Does anyone know if Friendly's is going to ever open again? We were told it was being refurbished, but it's taking a very long time. We miss it.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

Friendly's has declared bankruptcy and plans on closing many of their restaurants. According to the article below, the only NJ branch closing is the one located at Hamilton Plaza in Trenton. However, I doubt a company in bankruptcy will be funneling any funds into a remodel, but you never know.

masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2011/10…

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

The one in Tom's River is closed and the space already taken over by another restaurant.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

I for one will not miss Friendlys. The establishment was kid friendly and I did like , Fribbles.

But the food was industrial waste and expensive for its genre.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,421 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

If I were in or around Montgomery, I'd stop by the Tiger's Tail on Rte 206. Great food and they grill clams at the bar.

nj
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

i agree with pjk....for casual eats, you can't beat tiger's tale.

if it's ice cream you're after...head across the parking lot and hit thomas sweet's right next to the movie theater.

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

Tigers Tale might work for some but not a family friendly place at all. Why can't they update their restaurant with all the money that they must make? It's dark, tables way too crowded together, leaving no privacy at all. Their waitresses aree rude, but other than that, it's just okay IMO. Where are some other places to go out and eat----why don't they come to this area?

nj
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

i'd have to disagree bigA...we've been going to tiger's tale for more than 20 years and it is one of our favorite places for casual dining. in all that time, we have never encountered a rude or inattentive server. i'm sorry you had a bad experience, but in our experience that is the exception, rather than the norm.

as for family friendly, you must have not been there on a weekend night, where you will run into families with children of all ages, both in the dining room and in the bar area. maybe you went with expectations for a different kind of restaurant experience? this is not a hip, fancy place...rather a local institution, where locals have been coming for years to have good casual meal and run into friends they know from town.

btw, if you have had a fresher, better burger in the greater princeton area, then i'd sure like to know where, because in all of our years in this area, we haven't found one.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,421 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

They grill ribs on the grill in the middle of the bar that are out of this world. Free popcorn for the kids.

Pjk

nj
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

yup. anything that is grilled in the kitchen can be grilled on the bar grill too. we often ask for our chicken and steaks to be cooked there. the bartenders are great cooks....and it goes from grill right to you.

nj
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Friendly's Restaurant -Montgomery

BigA should be very happy...i saw a "now hiring" sign outside friendly's the other day. looks like they are re-opening. though it's a great place to bring toddlers and small children, i can't see it succeeding. there's much better ice cream and food elsewhere and the service was always horrible.