We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Summer 2018

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New England Summer 2018

Hi,

I am considering a two-week road trip throughout the New England region for my summer vacation possibly during the first two weeks of August. Ideally, I would like to fly into Boston and take it from there with a rental car. I don't mind staying overnight in possibly 2-3 locations with the option of taking day trips for exploration and sightseeing. Definitely interested in photography tours while at other times embarking on day-long walking and hiking tours.

It would love advice on travel routes, must-see locations, ideal spots for staying overnight, suggested photography tours, etc.

4 replies to this topic
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Summer 2018

Ideal place for hiking and photography: Acadia National Park in Maine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Summer 2018

In 2 weeks you have several choices.

One plan would be Boston to Acadia, maybe overnighting in Portland or some other coastal town you come across. Spend a few days in Acadia and then drive to Jackson/NConway in the Whites. Spend time there and then go to the Stowe/Burlington area inVT. From there , after a few nights, take rte 100 south to rte 4 east to proceed to Woodstock, VT and then go to the Lakes region, {Winnipesaukee }, before going back to Boston.

All of thes places should provide you ample opportunity for photography, and hiking. I would save Boston for the end and return the rental as soon as you get there rather than hanging on to it till you fly back. August is full on summer and you need to do your bookings asap. You can also do this loop in the reverse direction, it doesn't matter. Once you have an idea of where all you want to go, we can provide more specifics.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Summer 2018

Suggest you read 10 - 20 threads on this forum. They will give you ideas, tips, warnings, etc.

I also think it's helpful to look at a map at the early planning part of any trip.

There are some photography workshops in New England in the summer, I've heard. I think there was a famous one in Maine? Maine is very photogenic, as someone already said.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 03:16
Georgia
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Summer 2018

Two weeks is a good amount of time.

I would not limit myself to 2-3 hotel locations! You'll severely limit how much of NE you see and/or will force yourself into lots of long day trips to begin to see much of it. Then again, if your vacation style is to really settle in in a place, then think about your priorities.

My top 3 locations in NE are easily Boston, Acadia Nat'l Park and the White Mtns of NH. Honorable mentions Newport RI, Cape Cod, Portland/southern Maine beaches and generally Cape Ann area north of Boston. Maybe add the Green Mtns of VT, maybe The Berkshires of western Mass, and certainly lots of other places.

First question for yourself, do you want SERIOUS beach time? I mean it's August after all. If so, then plan to spend a good 4-7 days on Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard. Surf, sand and nice dinners!

Boston requires at least 2-3 full days, I'd do that last so you can drop off your rental car. You won't need or want it in Boston.

Acadia requires a good 3-4 days, unless you don't really like the outdoors.

The White Mtns (Jackson/N.COnway/Lincoln) requires 2-3 days, again outdoor activities.

You could spend a whole day driving from Boston to Bar Harbor/Acadia. There are numerous places to stay/things to see on that stretch. So you could break up the drive w/an overnight or 2 in Portsmouth, Portland or Camden, etc...

THe drive from Acadia to the White Mtns is a 4-5 hr straight, but scenic drive.

The drive from the White Mtns to Boston is 3 hrs, the drive from the Whites to Newport or Cape Cod 4-6 hrs, depending on how far out on the Cape you go and traffic.

You could more or less limit yourself to Acadia, THe White Mtns and Boston and have a great vacation. Add 2 nights (1 full day) for Newport.

If you want beach time but something less than "serious" beach time, then there are a number of amazing and beautiful beaches between Boston and Acadia.

Anyway, that's some things to think about.

Look at a map and google some info on cities/towns mentioned above and/or along the coast.

Reply to: New England Summer 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New England