We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking questions

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Parking questions

We will be staying in Wildwood for a week but plan to come to Cape May a couple of times during our stay. I've heard parking can be quite difficult overall and that the best bet is to park at the elementary school and take the trolley but I have a couple specific questions. We have reservations at Sapore one evening and I was wondering if we'd have luck finding some street parking up that way? It's only ~1 mile walk from the school and it looks like we could take the trolley partway, but if we could park closer that would just be easier.

For visiting the lighthouse- is there a better time to visit when it is likely to be less crowded and parking most likely to be available?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Wildwood
Wildwood
Cape May County, NJ
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
8 replies to this topic
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking questions

1. Sapore is in West Cape May I do not believe the trolley goes there It should be possible to find -free- street parking although you may need to walk a block or so.

2. The lighthouse is adjacent to the free state park parking lot. It is a huge lot and would not be full. You should drive there.

The trolley is only good for the cape May beach/business district.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 19:16
Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking questions

PS

Morning is best for the lighthouse, not so much because of congestion, but because it can be quite warm inside in Summer as you climb the 199 stairs

There is always a refreshing breeze at the top and the view is worth the climb

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking questions

Sapore has some on site parking. I think you would have success with on street parking closer than the school.

If you went up/down some of the side streets leading to Broadway such as Congress or Windsor, that might be best best.

If you are feeling risky....on other side of Perry street is parking for a breakfast/lunch place...Dockyard...not open at night.

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Ontario, Canada
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking questions

For on street parking,look especially at the street west of Sapore- Fow Street or at the street west of that.

Bob is right about the onsite parking but the lot is small and during dinner service usually full

By the way- the Breakfast/lunch place across from Sapore is Dock Mikes- don't know how aggressively they police the lot after they close for the day.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking questions

Parking in the Sapore lot or one of the nearby streets will depend upon the evening and time of your reservation. My wife prefers early dinner and I prefer a weekday evening. No problem finding a place to park on a weekday prior to 6:00 PM. We are fairly regular customers and these days/times have never been a problem for parking. Parking at the Lighthouse will not be a problem at any time.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking questions

Agree with all the prior posts-you should be able to find parking at Sapore in a very reasonable walking distance.

I have seen days where the lot adjacent to the Lighthoise is crowded, but always found a space.

Perhaps I am just lucky, or living in NYC makes me have a different perspective, but in the 20+ years I have been visiting Cape May, even in peak season, I have never found parking particularly difficult. Challenging-occasionally. Difficult-not really. May you have to walk a bit further than you hoped, most likely, but hey, it is Cape May. No better place to walk around.

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking questions

Thanks all! This was very helpful.

New City, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking questions

If you are planning to climb the lighthouse, you should go early if it’s a hot day. We did it last summer at around dinner time on a hot day. The inside is like a brick oven that gets hotter as you go up. Better to be in there before the sun has a chance to heat the stone.

Reply to: Parking questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape May
Recent Conversations